Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have (6) three inch Maylandia estherae and (6) three inch Labidochromis textilis in a standard 55 gallon tank. I'm thinking about getting (6) Pseudotropheus socolofi. Does anyone think this might be too many for a 55 gallon tank? :?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I am willing to bet my life savings that those Lab. textilis are actually Melanochromis joanjohnsonae.

Adding those socolofi will not be a problem, except that male Mel. joan... look like socolofi in terms of coloration, so you may have some cross breeding there.

A lot of people say socolofi are nasty, too, but estherae and joan... have reputations for being just as nasty.

It won't be too many fish, but if yours are particularly mean, expect fights.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
IMO, I think it would be okay. I would think that you could weed out your males and end up with 1 M, and 2-3 female for each group.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Can you post a pic of the Lab Textilis? From what I know about these, if the are truly that, they are relatively nonagressive and might get beat up by the others. M. Joanjohansonae are the exact opposite and would probably rule that tank.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
What would make you think that his Lab Textilis are M. Johanjohnsonae?? They look nothing alike?

·
Registered
74 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
I am willing to bet my life savings that those Lab. textilis are actually Melanochromis joanjohnsonae.

Adding those socolofi will not be a problem, except that male Mel. joan... look like socolofi in terms of coloration, so you may have some cross breeding there.

A lot of people say socolofi are nasty, too, but estherae and joan... have reputations for being just as nasty.

Hi everybody!
Are socolofi really nasty? The CF species profile says that they are weakly territorial in the aquarium and a good choice for beginners.
What have been your experience with this species?
I have read that the albino morph is less aggressive. What can you say about this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:

Hi everybody!
Are socolofi really nasty? The CF species profile says that they are weakly territorial in the aquarium and a good choice for beginners.
I have read that the albino morph is less aggressive. What can you say about this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:

Hi everybody!

·
Registered
74 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:

Hi everybody!

·
Registered
729 Posts
My personal experience is that they can be extremely nasty, although not the worst by far. Mine was pretty bad though and so I took him back to the LFS. He was about the level of cobalt zebras, but not nerely as bad as Kenyi. I think with Mbuna it is relative though, as they are all rather territorial.

·
Registered
74 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:

Hi everybody!

·
Registered
74 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:

Hi everybody!

·
Registered
74 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:

Hi everybody!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts