Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. At present I have a single female demonsoni and her 8 fry (3/4 inch)
in a 55 gallon.
Would I be better off adding another group of urelated juvie demonsoni and keep it as a single species colony? Or can I add a smaller group of demonsoni, and a breeding group of another
species? What other species would co-exist with the dems? Yellow labs come to mind, as they
are in no way a similiar colored fish, would anything else work, or should I just stick to the dems, and set up a separate tank for another species?
thanks!
j

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would recommend getting another few demasoni, at least another 3-5. Also, you could get a group of Red Zebras or Yellow Labs if you wanted color contrast.

I also like Msobo deeps.

Keep your total around 20-25 fish, you should be okay if you have the tank arranged well.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You need more demasoni. I would add more close to the same size as the smaller ones you have. If you can't find them that small, try to find them around an inch. (If you just add a few - say 5-6, adding adult size may mean problems, since they tend to ignore the little ones.) I'd rather work with just the one adult, unless you plan on adding 10 or so adults.

Yellow labs are hard to beat for a colour combo. Msobos are great, but the females are wicked aggressive and males tend to be easily intimidated under some circumstances, so I really wouldn't recommend them in this set up. (You'll get all the aggression you could possibly want with the dems...)

I had 20 adult demasoni in my 55G. By the time I removed them all to sell, I lost count at 75!

Kim

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. If I can't find more dems close to the same size as the frybabies, I will just wait a while till they grow a bit, I guess. Maybe I can find some nice ones.
I think I am going to just go with the species only tank.
j

1 - 5 of 5 Posts