Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am really attracted to the Venustus, I have been reading books and poking around on the forum and it certainly appears that the Venustus is quite the nippy fish.

Before we go any further I should say that I am moving really soon and do not have a tank right now (I had a 12g community tank) but I am hoping to get a 72 or 75 gallon tank in a few months. I have really enjoyed learning about ecoligy and the care of fish and I am looking forward to providing a good habitat for future pets...after the purchuse, the setup and the cycle.

I think I have only come across one person here who have a Venustus in a tank smaller then 100g. My question reloves more around my possibly upgrading to a 125g tank. If I am not able to get a larger tank then I will just stock peacocks and other capatible fish (more time to research that later).

I am curious what should I put in with the Venustus or should I have a breeding tank (have not decided how I feel about that yet)? All male venustus tank (does not sound like a great idea)?

Any general feed back would be great. Just trying to find some direction to further my research, since that is all I can do at this time.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hi, Phil!

You might get away with stocking a male venustus in a 75G if you're very careful about your choices to go with him. Personally, I'd rather keep them in a larger tank, but I know of people who have adult males in a 75G.

I think I'd go all male with the tank, rather than a single species breeding group. Let the venustus be your "centerpiece" and pick some other males that you like, letting him be your largest fish. I'm really partial to the Copadichromis males... :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keeping a Venustus in a 125g 48" x 24" x 24" would that be habitable? I feel that a 72" would be a bit intrusive and over whelming for the Mrs.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It would be pretty much as I said above...You could pull it off, you'd just have to choose the other fish carefully!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts