Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am thirteen, and hoping to get Malawi Cichlids. My aquarium is 18 inches high, 16 inches deep and 3 foot long. I am trying to figure out what fish to stock my tank with. As I live in Tasmania, my choice of species is very limited. I have three different choices of fish to use to stock my tank. Here are my choices:

Pseudotropheus saulosi 2-3 males and 8-12 females

Electric Yellows 5-6 males, 1 Afra male, 1 male pseudotrpheus "Cobalt blue", 1 male maingana

5-6 male Electric Yellows and 1-2 small peacocks/ 4-5 small Peacocks and 3 male Electric Yellow

Are all these combinations suitable for the aquarium or is one better then the rest?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Option 1 is the only suitable choice. A 3' tank is quite limiting. You may find only 1 male Saulosi will work in such a short aquarium.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
A 4 footer would certainly open your options. But Saulosi are a great mbuna. They offer 2 beautiful colors in one species, can work in smaller aquariums and breed readily.

Peacocks do not fare well with boisterous mbuna. If you ever want to attempt an all male tank you should look at a 48x18" footprint as a minimum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You very much for your advice. It looks like I am wiser to keep saving pocket money for a four foot tank. My convict cichlid can go in the 3 foot tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts