Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a 130 liter tank (standard rectangular shape, though the filter system's external) just kind of sat there with a sailfin catfish (only about 12 inches right now) and have been thinking about stocking Malawis again.

My main question is if my catfish would be fine in a tank with these things. Since he's an armoured catfish I'm rather sure he'd be fine, but it's better to check, no?

Also, what would be an ideal stocking level for this? I plan on using a fair amount of rocks and drift wood in this so there'd be plenty of hiding places etcetc, but yes, I'm rather unsure of what a fair level would be.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? Length? Width?

130 liters is about 34G and may be a 36" tank which is limiting with Malawi.

Do you know the scientific name of your sailfin catfish? Synodontis? Pleco? With a length of 12" I would say pleco and that he is already too big for this tank.

Also his size is no guarantee of safety with Malawi as they are fascinated by the eyes...nip, nip, nip. His size may make it difficult for him to move quickly enough to evade the Malawi.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'd imagine he's referring to a sailfin pleco. Either way, I can't really imagine a 12" fish in a 34 gallon tank, regardless of activity level.

You wouldn't want to use driftwood for Malawian cichlids.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Yes probably a pleco, he also mentioned armour. :oops:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts