Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would a keyhole cichlid, an acarichthys heckili or a santonoperca sp., an archocentrus sajica or spilurum, a pike cichlid,and a bushynose pleco do in a planted 50g tank?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The pike might end up killing the more timid Keyhole and possibly the Sajica. The Eartheaters will eventually get too big. I'd loose the pike , and go with the Keyhole(maybe a few of them) or a few sajica, and possibly a group of eatheaters but only if your planning an upgrade to a much larger tank.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Satanoperca need a larger tank and realy clean water,...so not an option. Pikes can be aggressive and turn into large fish. Maybe a dwarf pike is an option. Heckeli probably are to temperamented for a small community tank. The archocentrus sajica is probably to temperamented. Whats left,.......A nice group of 5 keyholes and one pair of Crenicichla regani or Crenicichla compressiceps. This sounds like a nice stock for a 50 gallon. As addition the Pleco and maybe 8 coridoras.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can kinda see how a pike and a keyhole wouldnt mix, but *** read in the "aquarium atlas" that pikes are generally indifferent towards differently shaped fish that arent considered food. keeping a santonoperca or any fish until they begin to reach a size like that and trading them to an LFS is ok right?
The thing is that i wanted to keep a piscivore that wouldnt desroy the tank decor. so i figured a pike is the way to go. are dwarf pikes piscivorous too?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
are dwarf pikes piscivorous too?
Yes.

I agree 100% with Dutch Dude's comments.

I have made deals in the past with my LFS about growing up cichlids and catfish and trading them in when they get to big or once I have the desired number of pairs. But remeber all deals are weighted in favour of the LFS.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the A. heckeli and the sajica to tempramented for the keyholes? What if in stead of just keyholes i had sajicas? So then if i had sajicas and a dwarf pike, they would fare well with a heckeli, right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts