Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys/gals I need some advice here I have a 55 gallon with 4 yellow labs, 3 socolofi and 3 OB mbuna. I don't know the sex yet as they all are juvies. My main concern is are these species compatible with each other once I get m/f ratios right? Am I going to have problems between the OBs and labs trying to mate? I know it isn't uncommon for labs and red zebras to mate im just not sure about an OB zebra. Any help and input is appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
No real big problems, and all Mbuna can crossbreed. I would get a few more fish, especially if you plan on removing some males. Figure out if your Yellow Labs are pure, since many are already part Red Zebra. Do you know what your OB are? Red Zebra OB? The so called OB Peacock? Or just hard to tell? Hybrids on either ends may lead to crosses, since they are already confused.

If you do not plan to seriously breed, it isn't a big deal if you do not save or distribute. If you keep a stay unknown survivor or two, I suppose every one has done that, you feel for them, just don't give away. Never sell or give away fish you are not sure of.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well alright thanks a bunch! With the yellows I don't have the slightest clue of how to tell if they are pure or yellows. As with the OB I believe they are just red zebra OB I know they are mbuna if that helps at all. And about what ratio should I keep the socolofi? Sorry about all the questions im just trying to get this right. My first time I just threw a bunch in and it want very pretty in the long run

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Mbuna freak said:
Well alright thanks a bunch! With the yellows I don't have the slightest clue of how to tell if they are pure or yellows. As with the OB I believe they are just red zebra OB I know they are mbuna if that helps at all. And about what ratio should I keep the socolofi? Sorry about all the questions im just trying to get this right. My first time I just threw a bunch in and it want very pretty in the long run
Yellow labs are hard to sex, so don't worry about that at first. With the Socolofi and Zebra types you want one male with multiple females, unless you really have a big group of the species. Having two males will just lead to constant abuse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will get to taking pics as soon as I can. Im not sure how good they will be but I can try. I did see 2 of the soclofi trying to square up with each other and also one of the zebras, one has claimed territory. Is that usually male behavior? And as for the OB it doesn't back down so im thinking that's a male as well? How long do i have before things start to get ugly?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing is when I start weeding out males where is a good place to get some more females? My lfs just sells them as assorted I would rather eliminate the hassle of guessing I have heard about vendors online I just don't know what ones are credible as I have never bought online

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is some pics. The labs are being shy for some reason. I saw my mistake saying they are all juvies in my first post. But none are over 2.5 inches

0310181435.jpg

0310181423b.jpg

0310181423a.jpg

0310181436c.jpg

0310181436g.jpg

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
It's not that usual to see mbuna sold as sexed by a reputable vendor. We usually buy 8 unsexed juveniles and rehome males who cause problems. It is a hassle, but it comes with the territory.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh. Okay and I've found out that the big socolofi is a male. He was being a real pain attacking other fish. He would literally sneak up behind my lab and grab its anal fin and go to ripping away at it. So he is now rehomed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts