Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting up a new 75 gallon tank. I am two weeks into a fishless cycle and I have been researching ideas for stocking. My goal is for an all male tank with shades of yellow and blue. I was also looking for something red, but I was not sure what would work. I do not know know a lot regarding matching realistic tank mates. Would these fish be compatible? 1)Metriaclima elongatus usisya 2) Metriaclima Membe Deep 3) Tropheus sp Red Cheek 4)Labidochromis Cearuleus. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
The problem with all-male is you need a fair number of adult males to manage aggression (say 12) and none can look alike.

Many mbuna are blue and yellow so it is hard to get 12 fish that look nothing alike.

Tropheus is not a mbuna, I would skip them. Or do you mean tropheops? I think they are a little aggressive for all male, but maybe another member who has tried them in an all-male mbuna tank will chime in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
The problem with all-male is you need a fair number of adult males to manage aggression (say 12) and none can look alike.

Many mbuna are blue and yellow so it is hard to get 12 fish that look nothing alike.

Tropheus is not a mbuna, I would skip them. Or do you mean tropheops? I think they are a little aggressive for all male, but maybe another member who has tried them in an all-male mbuna tank will chime in.
Oops! I did mean Tropheops sp Red Cheek. That is good to know that 12 would be a decent number to have some success.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
12 works for haps and peacocks. There are not dozens of successful male mbuna tanks, but there are some and this will give you a chance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were to incorporate females (in an effort to keep the peace) what fish do you think would be the most successful together and in what ratio? 1)Metriaclima elongatus usisya 2) Metriaclima Membe Deep 3) Tropheus sp Red Cheek 4)Labidochromis Cearuleus. Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
1m:4f for Membe and Labidochromis. 1m:7f for elongatus and tropheops.

You may find the membe females and labidochromis females and tropheops females are too close in color (yellow and yellow-orange) to make a good combination.

Also both tropheops and elongatus are blue barred fish...choose one blue barred species per tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
What would you swap out for what?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the idea of the Pseudotropheus socolofi. That may be a better choice over the tropheops red cheek. I like the idea of the trohpheops, but its my understanding that they are fairly aggressive and wouldn't want to scare off the other fish into hiding. The pseudotropheus socolofi (Blue male/female), membe deep (black/blue male and orange female), Metriaclima elongatus usisya (males/female golden with bars), and Yellow labs (yellow male and female). Would these work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts