Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im going to buy a new 55 gal this friday and i know for a fact that i will have the white calvus in the tank i wanted to know what other fish i could put in there i will have 2 calvus in there i was thinking of some shellys and a lupei in there. i know this comp for the tank might not work but tell me what could i put in there with the calvus that wont mess with it and it mess with the calvus. ty :D

·
Registered
705 Posts
i know my julies seem to ignore my calvus. same with my multies. so julies could be a nice addition.. that or maybe cyps? depends on whats available locally and also cheap. id steer clear of trophs brichardi and large julies personally. any shellie u prefer should work out fine. just make sure they get established before the calvus.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Shellies would be good, but not with any leluepi. leluepi will kill shellies. I agree dwarf julies would be a good choice.( juli. ornatus, transcriptus, or dickfeldi)

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I'd do shellies, calvus and cyps. And I can testify to the leleupi being a shellie murder squad. In a 72" tank the leleupi not only killed the shellies but also the caudopunctatus. They are gone!

You are going to start with 6 calvus and plan to end up with a pair, right?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
I'd do shellies, calvus and cyps. And I can testify to the leleupi being a shellie murder squad. In a 72" tank the leleupi not only killed the shellies but also the caudopunctatus. They are gone!

dont know should i im new to th tang game really dont know wat im doing should i do that? i want the 2 im going to haveget along s that sounds like a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
It's a good idea because if you two you select decide they don't like each other, that may not happen for a year or two and then you will have to add more juveniles, wait for them to grow up (forever with calvus) and try again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bodenhimer said:
yo guy those last 2 i showed my mom she fell in love with are they pricey and i know i will be doing the mutli shellies cause i fell in love with them same time as the calvus but those last to links were BEAST!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill be useing pool filter sand also. is that okay?, and i was looking at whale eye shells for the shellies and a couple of big ones for the calvus are those the best shells for them cause i know for a fact that i want to watch the multi steal from each other will they be able to pick those up and carry them easly. i dont want any lil buggers on workmans comp... lol!

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
nooberfish said:
ill be useing pool filter sand also. is that okay?, and i was looking at whale eye shells for the shellies and a couple of big ones for the calvus are those the best shells for them cause i know for a fact that i want to watch the multi steal from each other will they be able to pick those up and carry them easly. i dont want any lil buggers on workmans comp... lol!
Sounds good. The multies will nudge the shells around but I think the ones that pick up and carry the shells are a different, larger species.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now this is a good question i have aso what plant could i put in there that will grow easly but not grow out of control and the fish wont mess with

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kk so im guessing about 6 multi 1 male 5 females a pair of calvus 1 male 2 females if possible and about 3 julies is this overstocking a 55 gal. and i was wondering is 15 shells enough for 6 multi and how many caves will i need for the calvus. do julies like caves also i dont know much about them.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Your listing male/female ratios, but you can't buy fish this way. You will need to start with groups of 6 or more young fish, and pull extra males as they mature. You will not have to remove any multies, they should all get along, and if you are starting with 6 small calvus, it will be about a year before you will be removing any extra males. I would get a 24 pack of escargot shells from amazon.com for the multies.

Being that this is your first tanganyika tank, I would suggest you think about sticking with two species for now. Many of us have multiple tanks set up, so if there is a problem with mixing fish we can safely remove them to another tank.

If you decide to stay with two species, you could add a few more multies to start, say 10.
Remember, water changes and patience are the key to enjoying your tanganyikans.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shellies215 said:
Your listing male/female ratios, but you can't buy fish this way. You will need to start with groups of 6 or more young fish, and pull extra males as they mature. You will not have to remove any multies, they should all get along, and if you are starting with 6 small calvus, it will be about a year before you will be removing any extra males. I would get a 24 pack of escargot shells from amazon.com for the multies.

Being that this is your first tanganyika tank, I would suggest you think about sticking with two species for now. Many of us have multiple tanks set up, so if there is a problem with mixing fish we can safely remove them to another tank.

If you decide to stay with two species, you could add a few more multies to start, say 10.
Remember, water changes and patience are the key to enjoying your tanganyikans.
yea i knew i would have to start with about 6 or 7 calvus hopeing i would get atleast 2 females and 1 male that would get along and ty for saying that about only keeping 2 species at a time that would really suck if i had to take a fishy back to the store i would be meesed up in the head ty for the info.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Certain size what? fish? tank? shells?

fish - best to buy the biggest you can find. They general travel and acclimate with better success. Although you'll probably only get one size option.
tank - you said 55 gallons, right?
shells - escargot shells are great for multies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
DJRansome said:

Wow!? :eek: I didn't know leleupi were that aggressive? Makes me regret introducing a pair of juveniles last week. Hope they will be okay with the calvus and comps. I did notice one chasing the cyps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts