Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am not there yet, just waiting to finish my fishless cycle then I will be stocking my tank.
I am for sure getting Mainganos. I am also getting Electric Yellows. Here is were I am undecided. I am thinking Flavus or Red Top Ndumbis. And for the forth species I was thinking Fuelleborni.
That would make four different "genus". But I am unsure on how many of each I should get.
I have (2) Bio-wheel penguin 350's, and (2) maxi-jet 600s. I also have plenty of caves set up.
I am really wondering if I could possibly manage with a 2m/6f for some of these species. I wouldn't do that with the Mainganos or the Electric Yellows because they have alot of color between the male and female anyways.
Does anyone think I could possably get away with that. I would like somewhere around 25 fish or so.
Any input or knowledge of any sort would be wonderful. Thank You!!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Two males for the maingano might not work out, might end up with just one. I'd also steer away from the ndumbi, as they can be very aggressive. I think the maingano, Labs and fuelleborni would be fine... why not go for a Cyno "hara" as the fourth?

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I don't think I would do fuelles in a 75 with 3 other species, they are big bulky mbuna, trewavasae might be a slightly better option being that they are a tad bit smaller in size than fuelles, and probably better in general in a 4 foot than fuelles. find a chilumba, add those to the maingano and yellow labs and call it stocked imo

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
For the Mainganos I'd definitely recommend a single male with at least 5 females to keep him occupied. Since the females are appealing, there's no reason not to. Based on my experience and reading the experiences of others, it seems like there is a spectrum of aggression for this species ranging from medium to very aggressive. It may all depend on the personality of your male. It's also worth noting that there are a lot of Melanochromis mixes being sold in fish stores - make sure that you get them from a reputable source and check to ensure that they do not have any yellow coloring or vertical barring.

Either Labeotropheus Fuelleborni or Trewavasae would be a fine choice. 1m + 4+ females.
Basically can't go wrong with yellow labs.
Cyno hara are also a great suggestion.

In fact, I had almost this exact setup for about a year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts