Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 Mbuna tank set up. This is my first african tank, but I've had planted tanks for many years.

So far I have stocked it with:
12 Labidochromis caeruleus "electric yellow"
6 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos "mainganos"
6 Pseudotropheus msobo "deep magunga"

The labs are all 2" or under and the others are about 1-1.5" in length. I am planning on letting them grow out and then adjusting the male to female ratios.

I was wondering if this mix would work well and would it be safe to add another species? I was thinking a ratio of 1m/3f. However I would like to add a group of acei or something else.

I know this is a lot of yellow and blue. I'm wanting to add some more blue to even things out. It's a yellow/blue theme.

How many adult fish can my tank support?

Thanks, Justin

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
With mainganos you want 1m:7f or so - there's your extra blue. If you bump that to 1m:9f, you'll be pretty fully stocked and will have a ton of activity and some healthy colonies to work with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow. I didn't realize they should have so many females.
So around four labs, four msobo and 10 mainganos should do it?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I find 1m:4f works better to manage aggression for the medium to low aggression species. And 1m:7f works better for the aggressive species like Maingano.

You could possibly add a 4th species in a 75G rectangle.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Also when considering other species, note that the msobo is a Metriaclima and not a Pseudotropheus.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was googling it and I was kinda coming to that conclusion. Did I have the name straight up wrong, or was it changed a little while back?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts