Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the tank set-up for a while, but I have all of 2 yellow labs at the moment, one of whom is in a healing tank w/ half a tail :-( Anyway, I keep going back and forth on stock. Acei? Afraid they're a bit big at full-size. Demasoni? Intraspecies aggression. Socolofi? Love the dimorphism, but will the yellow-orange females clash with my labs? Maybe some saulosi? As you can see, I'm drawn to the blue/yellow thing and I like the blue barred fish.

Anyway, there's a local breeder with some Ps. aurora "mozambique" avaialble. The males look nice, the females may be drab if I can find a pic, but that's ok. He lists is as Ps., the profiles here seem to call it a different genus. Anyway, any experience with how they'd do with yellow labs? I don't plan to grow out fry, much less sell them, but I'd still prefer to avoid hybrids as much as possible so I can give fish back to the LFS in good conscience once I start getting m/f ratios right. And an all-out killing spree would be nice to avoid.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Well with yellow labs you can pretty much go with anything. If you like acei, I believe you could try some in a 75g. Maybe 1m:2-3f would be ideal.

Demasoni yes they have intraspecies aggression but they eventually stabilize if you remove the stressed fish and still have enough females left. Takes some effort, but can work.

I don't know what socolofi you have seen but they are not dimorphic. Only 2 varients, powder blue and albino. Sounds like you are describing the saulosi females with the yellow-orange. Yes, saulosi would be compatible but I find the females clash with the labs too much for my liking.

If you like blue/yellow, and simple, classic setup of a large demasoni colony and a smaller lab colony makes a stunning tank. Maybe 15-20 dems and 6-10 labs. Or, you can acheive sort of the inverse look with a saulosi single species tank. I would think you could get quite a few colored males in a 75, maybe 6-10, and a bunch of females.

I haven't heard about many people keeping aurora's. They are a metriaclima now, and I would say that other metriaclima like estherae like to hybridize with yellow labs, so there is that risk. Not sure on their aggression, but the profiles here lists them as "mildly" aggressive, as far as mbuna go.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
The posts I have read about aurora has them very aggressive. I'd say more than your normal metriaclima.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have kept yellow labs with rusty's (Iodotropheus sprengarae) for several years and a group of 1 male/3-4 females of each works great. They look good together. If you want to add in some blue
then some acei would do the trick. I love my Rustys. The mature male is deep orange with
purple-blue sides, and his females have a lot of orange as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rhinox said:
I don't know what socolofi you have seen but they are not dimorphic. Only 2 varients, powder blue and albino. Sounds like you are describing the saulosi females with the yellow-orange. Yes, saulosi would be compatible but I find the females clash with the labs too much for my liking.
Oh yeah, of course you're right, I was thinking of the saulosi that I like. I had a socolofi male for a little while, hence the confusion. Sorry, I'm just starting out actually keeping mbuna so I get stuff confused!

Anyway, thanks for the advice on the aurora. Last thing I need is a lot of aggression. I'm already worried about how I'm going to get my lab colony under control by figuring out who the males and they're practically pussycats!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shameless bump (and forgive my spelling). I know M. estherae is notorious for breeding with L. caeruleus. Are all Metriaclima at a pretty high risk to do so? Love the color of those cobalt blues, so if I'm not brave enough to get some demasoni, how would some M. callainos get on with my yellow labs? A lot of yellow labs, BTW - I purchased a dozen & got 14, so now I have 16 :eek:

The breeder I went to today was really trying to sell me on those auroras, but I wish the females were nicer looking - they're not out yet though, we'll see :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Are you going to go with 2 large groups ? M. callainos will be fine with the yellow labs & will look good too; just get a group of them so you'll have some females. Nicer looking females than the auroras too (IMO).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kyboy said:
Are you going to go with 2 large groups ? M. callainos will be fine with the yellow labs & will look good too; just get a group of them so you'll have some females. Nicer looking females than the auroras too (IMO).
Haven't decided yet. My brain says that I should stick to the 2 colonies, but I can't shake wanting some acei. If I had 8-10 cobalt blues and 3-4 acei, I wonder if that's too much for the tank? I am ready and willing to remove some yellow labs later on if need be - I assume my LFS will take them, since they're pretty nice ones from a local breeder. Everyone is pretty small now.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Nothing wrong with three species in a 75G rectangle 48" x 18". 7 each of labs, cobalts and acei.

Not enough contrast between the acei and cobalts for me, but they should mix well enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.