Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to this forum but not really new to cichlid keeping, I've had yellow labs before and firemouths more recently. I have just finished cycling my new 55 gallon tank and was going to start shopping at pet stores but decided to rescue a friend's fish instead. This tank my give me some trouble and I'm looking for some advice. The nitrogen and ammonia levels are holding for now, but I think the tank is very mixed and could have issues. There is no aggression yet, but these fish are all under 2 inches still and are babies.. There are ×3 giraffe cichlids, 2 peacocks, 2 blue dolphins, 2 mixed africans (yellow), and 2 Jack Dempsey. I've never kept such a variety of cichlids but im very invested and looking to make this tank work. Please let me know what I can do to keep aggression low and keep the fish happy, and if ABSOLUTELY necessary which fish will not fit with the others.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
The giraffes and the dolphins are too big for a 55G. I would keep them in a 72" tank or larger.

I would not keep JDs with Africans and they are likely too big for a 55G as well, especially two of them. Others can tell you more about them. Post pictures of the yellow mixed Africans to get an ID to see if they will work with peacocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same about the giraffe cichlids, although I like them enough I would be open to upgrading tanks in a year or two just to be able to keep them. I've heard Jack Dempseys are too aggressive and aren't african so I guess I'll be surrendering them to a local shop. The peacocks are slightly bigger than the yellow africans so im thinking they will work out but I'll just keep an eye on them and watch for fin damage. Just got them all in today so I'll get some pics ASAP

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
There are five fish in that pic...blue, orange and yellow. Assume the yellow are the yellow mixed africans. What are the others according to how you referred to them?

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
In your 55 gallon aquarium, It's quite possible the two Jack Dempsey's, Rocio octofasciata would not even tolerate the presence of EACH OTHER in there! :eek:

Part of their charm, I guess.... long-term compatibility in Central American Cichlids is NEVER a given! So with maturity, well-kept members of this rather pugnacious, Central American Cichlid species, will typically grow out to around 10 inches or so in pretty heavy-bodied length.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The orange spotted ones are peacocks and the lighter ones are the blue dolphins. As for the JDs seem to be universally agreed they will not work which means I'll have to remove the pair

1 - 7 of 7 Posts