Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to stock my 150 gal tank keeping in mind it is 4' wide.

5 - Protomelas "Steveni Taiwan" (Albino)
10 - Pseudotropheus sp "Acei" (Msuli)
7 - Labidochromis caeruleus
3 - Nimbochromis Venustus
5 - Mitriaclima estherae
5 - Pseudotropheus saulosi

Your comments appreciated. Not sure of availability.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Although none of those six species jumps out as being horribly incompatible with the others, six feels like too many species for a 4x2.

Although it's two feet deep, it is still a 4 foot tank - with the right rock work you will be able to create enough territories for four or five fish to comfortably claim dominance, but you won't be able to make five or seven aggressive individuals happy.

I would aim for four species in this tank, maybe five if you subtract either the Metriaclima or the Nimbochromis since they are more aggressive than the others.

The Steveni Taiwan is a stunner but I would worry about it most in this tank - not a comment based on experience though.

I fully admit this is conservative advice.

kevin

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I tend to agree with Ridley25.

I think the Metriaclima would definitely be too aggressive for the Steveni Taiwan - at least until the Steveni become much larger.

Do you want to do some breeding in this tank, or is it just for show purposes? I ask because some of these species are known to crossbreed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also concerned about the Steveni. (Again don't know availability west coast Canada) So if I remove the Venustus and the Mitriaclima, add some lab's that would tone down the aggresion.

Kanorin

I am interested in breeding (particularly the Acei and Steveni), curiousity more than anything, and I have a 50 gal which will be set up. With the removal of the two species does that fix the crossbreeding? Or is it other species that concern you. Not interested in any frankenfish. If fixing the crossbreeding dismantles my pick I would add(and may do so anyway) some synodontis cats.

Ridley25

Since you live in Canada I am interested if you order fish online and if so, what do you think of the quality and do you know if your supplier ships Canada wide.

Insidently I have been rearranging my decorative rock in the backyard to see how I'll set it up in the tank. Weird eh!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tanks are probably 50% through the fishless cycle during which I've been reading up on different species and have drifted from my original stocking list. I will be running two tanks 50 gal 4' long and a 150 gal 4' X 2' deep 2.5' high. For starters I'll be using the 50 gal for isollation / grow out tank then shifting them to the 150 gal.

My plan is to keep 4 species from this list in order of preference, but may have compatibility issues as some are from the aggresive side.

Cynotilapia Afra (Jalo Reef)
Metraclima estherae(Red) RZ's
Metraclima greshakei Ice Blue
Labeotropheus Trewavasae
Labidochromis Caeruleus (Lions Cove)
demasoni's

My LFS currently has

RZ's
Ice Blue's
Labidochromis
Demasoni's

They also have some nice Aratarus. :D

Some help on this would be welcome, species, stocking numbers.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Some ideas. Choose one metriaclima. Don't combine red zebras and yellow labs if you want to save fry from either. Choose one blue-barred fish.

From your list I would do the Jalo, greshakei, labeos and yellow labs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a long wait my 50 gallon has cycled :dancing: 150 was started 2 weeks later :zz: .

As luck would have it, the LFS had some greshakei so I picked them up and there in the tank. The little buggers have lots of places to hide but they're out and about aclimatizing well. Not to techno savvy but will post a couple of pic's of the little blighters when I figure out how.

Yellow Labs are easy to get here, may have to be a little more patient for the Labeos and Jalo's.

·
Registered
623 Posts
From what I recall bc's aquarium business isn't very good. The only places I ever saw was petsmart. Not a great selection. Sounds like a good mix man I'm sure you will be pleased.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chunkanese said:
From what I recall bc's aquarium business isn't very good. The only places I ever saw was petsmart. Not a great selection. Sounds like a good mix man I'm sure you will be pleased.
Yeh thanks Chunkanese. I enjoyed having breakfast with my Greshakeis this am.
I think your right about cichlid selection. But I have to say there's a guy down in Duncan who keeps some african stock and probably does as good as the market dictates. He's going to look for the afra's and the Lab's. I could use mail order but prefer to give the local guy a chance. We'll see how that goes.

Also

Has anyone used the Korilia power heads? I'm looking at putting one in my 50 gal grow out(around 600-1200gph). And one of the korilia magnums for my 150 gal when it finishes cycling.

I'm looking to post pic's if someone could give me the link for the info it would be appreciated. I've looked at photog in the library but no luck yet.

·
Registered
796 Posts
juststayinthecave said:
Looking to stock my 150 gal tank keeping in mind it is 4' wide.

5 - Protomelas "Steveni Taiwan" (Albino)
10 - Pseudotropheus sp "Acei" (Msuli)
7 - Labidochromis caeruleus
3 - Nimbochromis Venustus
5 - Mitriaclima estherae
5 - Pseudotropheus saulosi

Your comments appreciated. Not sure of availability.
The estherae & Labs will hybridize if you have both sexes. I was suckered by my lfs when I went looking for 2 female Labs. Was sold the hybrid instead. They have no black but are an orangish yellow to them.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
juststayinthecave said:
Final note.Heres the pics of the gresheiki's in my 50 gal grow out. As said 150 gal cycling. Thanks for the input to get my tanks going. :thumb:

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j33 ... inthecave/
That Ice Blue (Greshakei) is going to be gorgeous. Just remember, the females are VERY subdued. One of the reasons I'm going to 1 Greshakei (my dominant male; too hard to find females and they're not pretty) and move in Cyno Afra (Hara), the females are a pretty powder blue.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exasperatus wrote,

The estherae & Labs will hybridize if you have both sexes. I was suckered by my lfs when I went looking for 2 female Labs. Was sold the hybrid instead. They have no black but are an orangish yellow to them.

Exasperatus,

I was looking at my Labs and one has no black bar, thought it was a female, but now notice an orange tinge down the back. Makes me wonder.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glaneon said:
juststayinthecave said:
Final note.Heres the pics of the gresheiki's in my 50 gal grow out. As said 150 gal cycling. Thanks for the input to get my tanks going. :thumb:

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j33 ... inthecave/
That Ice Blue (Greshakei) is going to be gorgeous. Just remember, the females are VERY subdued. One of the reasons I'm going to 1 Greshakei (my dominant male; too hard to find females and they're not pretty) and move in Cyno Afra (Hara), the females are a pretty powder blue.
Yup! I couldn't pass him up, he's better looking than the photo's. Brought along some of his tank buddies to, some looked like females, and agreed they may end up quite drab, but wanted him to keep his colour, plus I am interested in seeing the cichlid behaviour. He's quite the clown. I bought a Korilia pump and they're having a gas coasting in the current. :lol:

·
Registered
796 Posts
juststayinthecave said:
Exasperatus wrote,

Exasperatus,

I was looking at my Labs and one has no black bar, thought it was a female, but now notice an orange tinge down the back. Makes me wonder.
pure bred Labs have a black dorsal fin. Now that I bought 5 fry and have grown them out to go with my original male, I find that the females dont have black in their pelvic or anal fins like my 2 males do. I have two males, two females (one is holding now at 2.5" long) and the others Im not sure if they're subdominant males or just immature females as they're not courted nor seem interested in courting yet.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Coloration of male and female on the labs is so identical it cannot be used to distinguish gender. Females can have the blackest fins (including anal and pelvic) and males the palest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts