Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just setup a 75 gallon tank and now while it's going through the cycling process I wanted to get my stocking list figured out. I've done soo much research and have decided on a few and I'd like your opinions on what I've picked so far and what others I can add and how many of each. Also what's the best way to tell the difference between the males and females? I know egg spots aren't always helpful especially with Juvies.

Pseudotropheus Socolofi "Albino Snow White" (I've wanted these since first seeing them.)
Labidochromis Caeruleus "Yellow Lab"
Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos
Pseudotropheus Acei

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's a good stock list you have with those 4 species. In theory the ideal ratio is 1m/4f , the labs & acei aren't as critical; but 1m/5+f is with the Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos(maingano). Egg spots are not a reliable way to tell gender, venting is the only 100% way to tell; but you can get a good idea as juvies mature.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Once fully cycled, all at once is better if you can get all from same source IMO.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I back up kyboy, but Maingano do better with 1m/7+f from what I've read. It is gonna be best to add all at around the same size at the same time, again once the tank is cycled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought. The store I get my fish will order them for me. I'm going tomorrow and talk to the guy and make sure he can get them all for me.

I can't wait to get it stocked :) Thanks for all your help Kyboy. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
No problem. You've selected species with good color & contrast with each other too, should be a nice set up :thumb: Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I've been researching them since June/July of last year. Someone just pointed out to me that the Snow White and Acei could crossbreed is that a high possibility?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually bought what they had left last this past Saturday and he said he's waiting on 4 more boxes of it. I might also get some terra cotta pots until they don't come in by the time my tank is cycled. I've one from a 2 gal tank with a betta to 10 gal divided betta tank to a 29 gal mixed community tank to now a Mbuna tank all since last April. My amazing store across the street from my house has been have $1 per gallon tank sale it seems like every six months, lol.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Look forward to see your progress & updates . And BTW, no thanks needed, you did your research; that's what I meant to say in my last post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts