Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bit the bullet and put a 55 gallon in my office, I need to move some fish around and such.
This is what I got so far and what I want to do; I bought 3 yellow labs (1-2 inches) and 4 Yellow Tail Acei (2 inches).
I want to move my male adult Afra, adult Hongi (sex ???) and adult Red Zebra (female??) and adult L. trewavasae (male) into this tank.
Is this a time bomb ticking waiting to go off? I'm kind of worried that the L. trewavasae and my dominate Afra will fight? On the other hand, I don't like returning fish to the LFS and I think this tank is large enough for this group.
Any suggestions and/or experience with this type of mix?

Thanks as always!!!
Tony

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, as far as breeding goes, it will be a disaster waiting to happen, but obviously breeding wouldn't be a concern in an office tank.

The tank is large enough for the number of fish you're talking about, plus some. However, having all those singles (some of unknown sex) may lead to excessive aggression, as well.

I would either go with 3 breeding groups of 3 species, or all male for this tank.

I'd rather return fish to the LFS than watch them kill each other, or deal with the illness that severe aggression can inflict on a tank. :thumb:

Kim

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I don't want troubles in the tank. Regarding the Metriaclima estherae, I pretty sure it is a female. What if I add two more females and a male? Also regarding the Afra, what if I add three females to the mix?
I can return the Hongi and the L. trewavasae to the LFS. That would leave me four species.
Does that sound any better?

·
Registered
442 Posts
The only way to sex M estherea is to vent. What makes you say its female?

3 females for the Afra should work. I'd up your number of Acei to 6, they do much better in large groups.

IMO I'd remove the M estherea as well, up your numbers of the labs, Acei and Afra. What kind of Afra is he?
M Estherea can get quite agressive, even the females. I have four females in my 125 tank and one has actually claimed part of the tank as her territory.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's a better stocking list, IMO. The red zebras and Yellow labs can crossbreed, so I wouldn't distribute any fry from either species, but it should look very nice.

Kim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts