Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning my 225G setup and have a couple of questions for the experts.

1) Of the following stock list, is there anything I should reconsider?
2) Which of the species should I be concerned about m:f ratios?

5x Synodontis multipunctatus
6x Iodotropheus sprengerae
6x Labidochromis caeruleus
12x Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"
6x Labeotropheus fuelleborni "Marmalade Cat"
36x Pseudotropheus demasoni

Thanks!

- Eric

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
That's a big tank and an awful lot of fish, 71 counting the Syno's.
Lot of blue, I'd probably play with the numbers a bit, 9 or 10 Labs, 7 or 8 Acei....hang on, gotta wipe the drool off my chin.........ok.
Unsure if the Fuelleborni might clash with the Demasoni.
1:4 for the Labs/Rusties/Acei.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Are you seriously breeding fish for fry? Or are just saying generally?

Is this a "show" tank? Will be colorful. With such a big tank, I would be a little more adventurous. Depends on what you goal is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
noki said:
Are you seriously breeding fish for fry? Or are just saying generally?

Is this a "show" tank? Will be colorful. With such a big tank, I would be a little more adventurous. Depends on what you goal is.
Just saying generally. I have the Synodontis in there to keep the fry to a minimum. I do want to keep a balance though, so my thinking is that I probably don't want to be male heavy in any one species.

And, yes, it is a "show" tank. It will be in a highly visible place in our home and I would like it to be a piece of living art. What do you suggest in regards to being more adventurous?

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I think it sounds great! Nothing wrong with the tried and true fish...they got so popular for a reason.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have mixed feelings regarding going with BIG fish in BIG tanks or just lots of small ones. I think I'm leaning towards lots of small ones - you get "colonies" out of them, more natural behavior... and they'll love the space. Sounds like a neat tank. I wouldn't worry about having only 6 of your labs/rusties to start - some fry will inevitably get past your cats and grow up.

We need pics when this gets set up! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
I have mixed feelings regarding going with BIG fish in BIG tanks or just lots of small ones. I think I'm leaning towards lots of small ones - you get "colonies" out of them, more natural behavior... and they'll love the space. Sounds like a neat tank. I wouldn't worry about having only 6 of your labs/rusties to start - some fry will inevitably get past your cats and grow up.

We need pics when this gets set up! :)
I've done both and I think I personally get more enjoyment out of having groups of smaller fish. Even though I loved my fahaka puffer, she was the only resident in this 225G previously. No offense to her, but I often wished I had more options rather than just my lone wet pet. You wouldn't believe how many people asked me, "You have that huge aquarium with JUST ONE fish?" Not anymore!

And, yes, you will have your pics. Not just once it gets set up though - I have a build thread going in the setup forum so you can follow my progress. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Ratios matter for labeos and rusties. One male per tank.

The others may or may not object to multiple males, but they will let you know as they mature and you will have more time to react.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
Ratios matter for labeos and rusties. One male per tank.

The others may or may not object to multiple males, but they will let you know as they mature and you will have more time to react.
Which brings me to my next question...

What is the standard method of "reacting"? Of course, if I purchase juviniles I will need to have some kind of plan in place for the unruly males should I get improperly balanced.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I believe (from reading the forums) the standard method is to either set up a new tank for the unruly ones, leading to a fish room eventually :lol:

No, seriously, most people make friends at an LFS, and set up some arrangement where they can return unruly fishies (again, from reading forums, also going to be my route to a peaceful tank).

There are also some that believe in 'euthanasia', although with healthy fish, that seems cruel.

I'm watching this closely, to see what more experienced people have to say. Reacting to fish agression is a question I have been wanting to ask myself.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Returning them to the LFS is a good option, but not every LFS will take them back. So definitely shop around until you find one. Often those that are serious about selling cichlids will do this because we DO need to worry about excess males. You might even get store credit of around 1/3 the selling price of the fish. Also call first in case they have a full house and have no tank room for your fish.

Note this sounds like a bad deal (1/3), but when you buy they are juvies and less expensive. By the time you have extra males to "sell back" they are adults and usually worth more. So you might break even on the fish cost.

You can also take them to fish auctions at your local club or swap with club members.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nina_b said:
I believe (from reading the forums) the standard method is to either set up a new tank for the unruly ones, leading to a fish room eventually :lol:
:dancing: Try to convince my wife of that. That's pretty much exactly what we're trying to avoid right now though. :oops: Good luck!

Nina_b said:
No, seriously, most people make friends at an LFS, and set up some arrangement where they can return unruly fishies (again, from reading forums, also going to be my route to a peaceful tank).
DJRansome said:
Returning them to the LFS is a good option, but not every LFS will take them back. So definitely shop around until you find one. Often those that are serious about selling cichlids will do this because we DO need to worry about excess males. You might even get store credit of around 1/3 the selling price of the fish. Also call first in case they have a full house and have no tank room for your fish.
Sounds like I'll be making good friends with my LFS again. They have always been good about offering to order in anything I've inquired about, so maybe if I establish a relationship with them in that regard they'll be willing to take back some of the bullies in exchange for credit of some sort. Credit is always good in an LFS.

DJRansome said:
You can also take them to fish auctions at your local club or swap with club members.
Note to self: find a local club. Shouldn't be too hard around here - it's not like Phoenix is small by any stretch of the imagination. Suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks! :fish:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hi Eric,

With a mbuna tank that size I'd be inclined to try some of the larger, more aggressive mbuna.

Have you looked at Tropehops or Petrotilapia?

kevin

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ridley25 said:
Hi Eric,

With a mbuna tank that size I'd be inclined to try some of the larger, more aggressive mbuna.

Have you looked at Tropehops or Petrotilapia?

kevin
I have and they don't really interest me all that much. Maybe it's just because I need to see them in person to appreciate them more?

This tank is essentially a "back-to-basics" for me getting be back to what got me interested in mbuna in the first place 15 years ago. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts