Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75G tank with a 3-4 inch bed of Aragonite sand, a pile of rocks at each end, shells scattered in the sand. The middle section is wide open sand.
Potential Stock list: (suggestion from a local expert) Just want to get other feedback.

Neolamprologus Leleupi (Firecracker Orange)- 3
Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus (Red Fin Kapampa F1)- 5
Lamprologus Multifasciatus- 5
Cyprichromis Leptosoma (Utinta F1)- 5
Xenotilapi Ochrogenys (Ndole Bay)- 2 Males, 2 Females
Synodontis Petricola- 3

My local expert said this would make a great Tang Community tank.
What do you guys think from your experiences with Tangs?
Thanks....my tank is cycling right now, still has high ammonia at this point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Xenos are too peaceful for that setup. I'd also only do 1 leleupi or none at all. They get pretty aggressive.

You probably also want to do more than 5 cyp's... Say maybe 8-12.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
That's a lot of species for a 75, but you are holding quantities down, so that's good. The only issue with that is I think it better to start with more cyps, like at least 12. The multi's will want a shell bed, preferably, not scattered shells. I'd change that up so they're off in a corner and not competing with the ochrogenys. Leleupi's have a reputation for being hard on multi's, but I don't know if it's deserved. If some here confirm that to be true, then you might want to swap them out for julidichromis ornatus, or possibly yellow altolamprologus compressiceps or similar. Might give you better odds. I think it's a good starting list though.

Xenos are too peaceful for that setup.
I've heard that these ones can be pretty spikey. Never had them though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He told me these Xeno's are one of the more peaceful ones, and what nice looking fish! The shells I have are on the ends of the tank on the sand below the rock piles.
I stressed the point that I was looking for compatible species, and this was what he came up with. I also love the bright orange of the Leleupi, and told him lets start with them, and then build from there....this is what he came up with while going around all his tanks, and pointing out each species. Explaining behavior etc...I would be adding juveniles of these species, all at once after the cycle. I expect a bit of an ammonia spike, but we will see.
I'm stoked on the idea of covering different species with different needs. I also think adding them at once as juveniles may help?

Leptosoma swimming
Caudopunks in the rocks and shells
Multies in the sand and shells
Xeno's in the middle wide open section of sand
Leleupi in the rocks
Petricola Cats cruising around.

I'm not totally sold on the list, but I do like it. For behavior, and colors of each species.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
N. leleupi are likely to be a major pain long term in a 75g communitty with those fish (may well kill multies and puncs). Suggest you switch to a yellow J.ornatus.
The S.lucipinnis are also likely to stop your shellys and puncs breeding much or raising any young, though this may be part of your plan.
I dought you have room for anything other than a small pair of Xenos (Do not understand why anyone might suggest these would be a problem agression wise being bullied is by far the more likely) and you will need to keep a very large area of open sand even for this to work.
And if you go for Xenos then for sure drop the Synos these do not mix well.
The Xenos sleep on the sand at night the Synos keep em awake and freak them out they slowly get thinner and thinner.
Sorry its kind of a reality check your plans are far to ambitious for a 75g tank.

All the best James

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The S.lucipinnis are also likely to stop your shellys and puncs breeding much or raising any young, though this may be part of your plan.

These are not on my potential list.
I agree the Petricola would bother the Xeno's, and I do like Juli Ornatus
Thanks James...as I stated this was a list proposed to me, and I'm open to suggestion as I have nothing but rocks, sand and shells in the tank right now.

I am basically set on shell dwellers
Cyprichromis Leptosoma
Caudopuncs
Xeno's and another rock dweller....the cats can go

So how about this?
Caudo's-5
Multies-5
Cyp Lepto-11
Xeno Ochs-4
Juli Ornatus-5

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
In the 72" tank, Leleupi killed my shellies (predicted) and caudopunctatus (surprise). They have moved on.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Leleupi are not team players I guess. So what about my updated potential list?

So how about this?
Caudo's-5
Multies-5
Cyp Lepto-11
Xeno Ochs-4
Juli Ornatus-5

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I'd probably choose either the xenos or the multies.

And realize that eventually there is a good chance you will end up with a pair of each except the multies and the cyps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
I'd probably choose either the xenos or the multies.

And realize that eventually there is a good chance you will end up with a pair of each except the multies and the cyps.
Do you mean as far as bottom dwellers coose between Only Xenos' or Only Multies? But the rest of the list is good?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
coose...choose! Lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the setup:
75G Tank
Lighting-6x54w T5's - 3 actinic, 3 6400k
Filtration: Drilled Tank
Sump/Refugium with a Mag7 Return Pump
Refugium is the center section with a 5-6 inch Aragonite and Plant substrate.
Argentinian Swords planted in refugium (we will see how they fair) any suggestions on high alkaline plants is appreciated.
I also have a biowheel in the sump, and the heater to keep them out of the display.

I'm doing a fishless cycle, and am at 5 ppm ammonia at day 5....no signs of nitrite or nitrate.
PH is high at 8.4+
I'm using RO/DI water buffered with Seachem Rift Lake Salts, and Seachem Tanganyikan Buffer.

Oh Temp was low at 74F-76F for the first few days of the cycle....I am raising it to 83F currently, last check was 78F.

That's it...

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I meant for the bottom I would choose either the multies or the xenos.

For multies you may want about 5 shells per fish (or more, they like a lot of shells) and you may want to heap them all together, even 2 layers. They colonize.

I like the rocks, but I also know shellies find a 6" barrier of sand around their shell pile to be ideal.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, Thanks. I'm going with the Multies then if only one species of the 2 is the best way to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.