Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.
I recently emptied my 6x2x2 SA Cichlid tank and decided to stock it with Malawi`s.
I am fairly happy with the stock that is in it but not 100% happy. I don`t know whether to do with
another Mbuna tank or set up a Hap tank. It is mixed at the moment and even though I am feeding
NLS and Spirolina I am not too happy about keeping Haps and Mbuna together as I think one
or both are suffering diet wise.

I have put some effort into the tank already in that I apart from the F1 Ngara Acei none of the
other fish are related. IE. I sourced all the males separately from the females, sometimes
travelling to far off Aquatic stores and using breeders for stock. Others are wild like the Similis and
the female Taeniolatus.

Here is the tank.

All ideas are much appreciated.

·
Registered
554 Posts
with NLS, I think you can relax about their dietary needs.

Those are some beautiful fish!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you looked into Tropheus they are really pretty fish maybe you should check them out??
:-? There from Lake T. Start a tank with them thatd be an awesome 2 tanks!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
dkgoode said:
Have you looked into Tropheus they are really pretty fish maybe you should check them out??
:-? There from Lake T. Start a tank with them thatd be an awesome 2 tanks!
They aren't really compatible with his existing fish, so no point.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a four foot all Mbuna tank which I am very happy with. What species of Hap, Omnivorous
Mbuna or even Victorian would be suitable. I have kept Africans for a long time. What I really want
are ideas from others. Sometimes when you set up a tank it can look fairly similar to the one
you already have.

I kept Tropheus before and I am lucky in that I can get some stunning F1 Kapera fry if I want.
Would rather stick with Malawi`s or even Victorians.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
So we are stocking the 6x2x2?

What Malawi should we stay away from that you already have?

I've had both mbuna and hap/peacock and enjoy both tanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a list of fish that I won`t stock.

Mbuna;
Crabro.
Greshakei.
Cobalts.
Yellow Coruleus
Nim..Livingstoni

Here is the stock list from my other tank.
Sprengarea, Trewavasse Rosa, Esterae, Thumbi Redtop, Yellow finned Acei, Mel Interruptus, Kingsizei, Mel Exasperatus. Three Redtop Hongis vanished.

I can get my hands on some Polits but I heard they are Head bangers. I was also thinking on
Borleyi, Baenschi, Jocobfreibergi and maybe Venustus.
A shop about an hours drive has some stunning Pro. Fenistratus but I would be increasing the
chances of Hybrids being bred in the tank. I do have a long term plan for a fish house and
acquiring good healthy stock is paramount.

One fish I will get more of is my Copadichromis Trewavasse. My dose bag of an LFS mixed up
the juveniles with some Peacock fry and it is very difficult to tell them apart, especially when
they guy puts the net in to catch them. :x :lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Sounds like you are thinking haps/peacocks and mixed genders?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
Sounds like you are thinking haps/peacocks and mixed genders?
That more or less hits the nail on the head. I think I have enough Mbuna in the tank although I
will try to get a few Elongatus Mpanga. If it was your tank what Haps would you add.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
First I would have no mbuna in the tank with the haps/peacocks except yellow labs. Here is my list, but I have all-male and one of each.

Astatotilapia latifasciata Lake Kyoga 'Zebra'
Protomelas marginatus 'Turquoise'
Otopharynx tetrastigma
Copadichromis trewavasae Likoma 'Ivoryhead Mloto'
Copadichromis borleyi Kandango
Aulonocara stuartgranti Mdoka (Flametail)
Aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri
Aulonocara Ruby Red
Aulonocara turkis
Placidochromis electra Likoma 'Deep Water'
Copadichromis chrysonotus Mumbo 'White Blaze'
Lethrinops sp. Mbasi
Aulonocara stuartgranti Usisya

Haps and peacocks crossbreed even with good m:f ratios. Peacocks to the point I'd limit to one species in the tank. Haps some may be mixable but I can't tell you which. I don't like big fish as you can see, or piscivores.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some cracking fish there and plenty of food for though.
I will definitely try to source some of those species. Don`t worry about the compatibility though
I am not a novice and I know what can and can`t be kept together although I tend to push the
boat out a bit some times.

I rearranged the decor. Opinions please, good and bad. Hope to get some Mud rock this weekend
so this could still be temporary. :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SmUESut ... re=related

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pick 4-5 species, one group each:

-Large/aggressive peacock (jacobfreibergi, OB, benga) -OR- S. fryeri (fryeri will interbreed with peacocks)
-Protomelas (Fenestratus, red empress, Taiwan Reef, spilonotus, etc)
-Blue Copadichromis or Nyassochromis (upper water swimmer)
-Bottom sifter/follower (blue Placidochromis or C. moori)
-"Smaller" predator (non-nimbochromis, either Exochromis Anagenys or a Stigmatochromis)
-Dimidiochromis compressiceps
-F. rostratus

Do a larger group (2M/6F) of the smaller fish (peacocks, Cop, placidochromis electra-types) and a smaller group for the bigger guys (large Protomelas, D. compressiceps).

If you do this, the fish should not interbreed. You'll still have to keep an eye on them, but they should be different enough to not go there if sufficient females of the same species are stocked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts