Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I just scored on a 50 gallon Bow Front with stand. I want to do a Malawi species tank probably Mbuna. Anybody have some stocking ideas and numbers for a tank this size? This will be my first Malawi tank so beginner to intermediate species suggestions that are easier to deal with would be appreciated.

·
Registered
350 Posts
a 36" long i will go with 1m/4f yellow labs species only tank or a trio of peacock (excl. the lemon jake, eureka, and larger peacock type) a dem only tank will work here too but you have to start of with 12 to 15 of them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12.5" wide at the narrowest and 16.5" at the widest 36" long. It is quite the setup canister and power filter stand and everything I am psyched.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
A single species of dwarf mbuna works for that tank size. Pseudotropheus saulosi will give you two colors, both attractive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any ideas for a couple species that will do well together in a tank this size? Great suggestions above by the way.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
For multiple species, especially if you are thinking about any full-size mbuna (mature at or over 6") things would work better with a 48" long tank. Length is key for these cichlids where each male wants to claim a territory and repel trespassers and every neighbor is a mortal enemy. :lol:

There is one fishkeeper who has a long-standing, sucessful small tank like this with a trio of labs and a trio of small, peaceful peacocks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! This helps a ton. What types of numbers should I start the tank with for a single species or tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
soulpride said:
a 36" long i will go with 1m/4f yellow labs species only tank or a trio of peacock (excl. the lemon jake, eureka, and larger peacock type) a dem only tank will work here too but you have to start of with 12 to 15 of them.
These are some good suggestions on species and numbers. You could also try 12 saulosi with 3m:9f to see if you can get three males to color up.

For other dwarf mbuna, stock like the labs suggestion. 1m:4f. Cynotilapia afra. Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusties). Labidochromis hongi. Pseudotropheus polit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One last question. Would cats or plecos be preferred in one of these single species tanks?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Depends on what you want them to do...I would do both.

3-5 Synodontis lucipinnis just because they are cool.
1 bristlenose pleco to eat algae from glass and rocks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for all of your help. Sorry if my questions were brief before I was using my Droid the whole time. And of course I have more questions. Looks like its pretty hard to find S. lucipinnis will S. petricola be a good substitute- looks like the two get confused often by retailers? Does a darker or lighter substrate promote color in P. salousi?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Synodontis petricola is actually rare in the hobby. But you see them around all the time because Synodontis lucipinnis used to be called Dwarf Petricola. So yes, they would be fine.

For orange fish I like a lighter substrate. I put leleupi over black and they turned mud-colored. Selling them and they are in a temp tank with light substrate...bright orange again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts