Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some homework and here is what I am thinking for my 30 gallon long tank. 36X16X12.

Pseudotropheus demasoni - 5
Labidochromis caeruleus - 3

From what I have read.... this should work out great beings that the tank is a 30 gallon long. :thumb:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good choice,

I am spawning Ps. demasoni and in order to "control aggression" I have Lab.Caerleus with them. They are suitable for each other but if you ask me, I would have at least 3-4 more Ps.demasoni and at least 2-3 more Lab.Caerleus in that tank.

Demasoni is a fish that over night without any reason can go "aggressive crazy" and If you have more males (like 2 on 3 females) you can have a massacre in your Aq.

Add as I mentioned and you will have a beauty and the beast in same Aq. no matter do you want to spawn them or not.

I have this combo in a tank even smaller than yours, like 110cm x 30cm x 25cm (that is approx 21 gal) the length of Aq is good and since Ps. demaoni is a small Mbuna, I have no problems at all

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info!

Add more fish?! :drooling: :dancing:

Anyone else think this is a good idea?
What about a clean up crew?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
At least a dozen Demasoni or they will kill each other off. I wouldn't add any more labs though. I might not add any labs at all. The fishkeeper is the cleanup crew, LOL. Don't overfeed and you won't need one. :thumb:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
updated list

Whitespy9 said:
Did some homework and here is what I am thinking for my 30 gallon long tank. 36X16X12.

Pseudotropheus demasoni - 10
Labidochromis caeruleus - 3

From what I have read.... this should work out great beings that the tank is a 30 gallon long. :thumb:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
113 Posts
10 is ok but if you want you can add two more..and yes, if you want to add more,add them now don't do it latter!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks so much for the replies!
I'm so pumped to head out to the fish store! :dancing:

If anyone thinks this setup won't work please let me know!
Here is a picture of the tank they will be going into.

30 gallon long tank. 36X16X12.

Pseudotropheus demasoni - 12-15
Labidochromis caeruleus - 5

·
Registered
113 Posts
My friend, tank is looking ok, BUT you MUST ADD some more rocks into this tank and you MUST ADD sand!!

Even normal beach sand, boiled to destroy all bacteria, will do the job.

And be aware that you have, at this moment lot of "sharp" stones that may cause some damage on the fishes when they chase each other around...

ok?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
more rocks I understand, but why sand?
I actually like the gravel that is in there now...

xclub your avatar is badass... btw...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cichlids, in general , love to dig, to make holes, to move sand from one place to another...in order to do so, the sand/gravel should be smaller so that it can fit into their mouth. If you really like the gravel that you have keep it of course but the way they dig, the way they move sand from one space to another is something that also you can enjoy in.

Having in mind that demasoni don't dig too much and Caerleus dig only when they want to spawn you don't have to add it, as I written in my last post.

Once again it is completely up to you my friend...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow... the demasoni are bit pricey.... before I go shell out $100+ for these guys, can anyone else throw in their $0.02 on if this will work out?

Thanks!

30 gallon long tank. 36X16X12.

Pseudotropheus demasoni - 12-15
Yellow lab - 4-5

·
Registered
76 Posts
Even with large numbers of demasoni, don't be surprised when you find dead fish...

I had 20+, I now have 7 and the 7 seem to be happier now. They stopped killing each other at least.

Be prepared for fish death in the tank...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What size is your tank? Pictures?

dwschacht said:
Even with large numbers of demasoni, don't be surprised when you find dead fish...

I had 20+, I now have 7 and the 7 seem to be happier now. They stopped killing each other at least.

Be prepared for fish death in the tank...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok. Now, I see that forum members have very high opinion of Ps. demasoni, I like that BUT there are several unavoidable facts.

PsDem's are:
-Aggressive, no matter how small they are
-Hard to breed, some people breed them with high success but that is the fact
-Hard to keep
-They kill each other just like that

In my country one PsDem cost from 1.5 to 3 euro and many , many cichlid lovers tried to have them in their tanks, spent a lot of money (the mentioned prices are high when you have in mind that average month salary is approx 200 euro) and many are disappointed because of above mentioned facts. They purchase PsDem's and lost them in just like that.

I don't say that this will happen to you but you can lose them all without any particular reason in a flash. They are "new species" and highly susceptible to Malawi Bloat and many, many other diseases.

Once again I must say that many cichlid keepers keep them without any major problems but what I have written above are pure facts.

Having all this facts in mind, think a little harder about PsDem's! Are you ready to keep them to fight with them???

Lab Caerleus is best possible fish to accompany PsDem's (that is the reason why I have suggested to keep them with PsDem's) in the tank because they have a strange influence on them and all species, they somehow keep the aggression down a lot. By my opinion you can have 5-6 caerleus and 6-8 dems, but in this case you must be sure that you have only one, max two males, (so that the aggression, that will be present no matter what, is in some kind of balance) and that is pretty hard to know even when they are mature so imagine the percentage of positive identification when they are small/juveniles…

Now I made a mass in your head, but that is also a part of Cichlidaristica :thumb:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What about Acei's or Cynotilapia afra (Chewere)?

Do you have any other personal suggestions? I am interested in something colorful that is compliment with my yellow labs. Other than that, I am not too picky.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I don't think they are hard to breed OR hard to keep. I wish I could figure out how to keep mine from breeding!

xclub, you are a proponent of breaking a rule now and then. I'll say this to the OP. People tried to talk me out of Demasoni for my first fish, and I didn't listen. I'm glad, because I would have never gotten into the hobby if I couldn't have the Dems.

There are a lot of other things that I didn't listen to that I'm sorry about. :lol: But starting out with Dems was good for me.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Afra will be better than acei... Acei will not work in that tank. 1m/4f afra and 4-6 labs would be fine. I agree, double the rocks. Sand doesn't REALLY matter - they'll move anything around. Just make sure the rocks are super stable, they dig UNDER them and this can cause collapses.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, concerning rules, as far as I know there are no rules in keeping cichlidss. There are some "standards" or better to say there is a usual way to keep them but rules… I respect the standard way of keeping them and I respect the position of every experienced and inexperienced Cichlidohollic but I tried something else and it work.

I agree that PsDem's are quite exciting, beautiful and daring to keep cichlid. I do not wish to throw back Whitespy9 from keeping them but I don't want to "let him" go with them without telling him potential/most common problems.
I absolutely agree with DJRansome that Ps.Demasoni is a highly valuable and most desirable Mbuna and every Mbuna fan should eventually have them but you must agree that they can be very, very expensive and problematic to keep.
Concerning Afra vs Acei issue, I agree with dielikemoviestars that Afra will be better than Acei…

Chewere is nice fish…try with that combo and see where it will get you.

I already know the answer...it will get you falling in love in cichlids and purchasing a new 2 times larger tank and keeping demasoni, caerleus, chewere, socolofi, saulosi,Mpanga, ret top hongi, some albino species than some flavus, and than some…. :dancing:

...and then remember my words: it's all right...do not worry, you are not going crazy... :thumb:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts