Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to redo my 75G tank and am looking for some stocking suggestions. I always wanted large, colorful, cichlids but I dont know what will work in a 75G. I like the colors of JDs and green terrors but I'd like some experienced suggestions.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sorry, I was out and about yesterday. I know it's frustrating when no one helps and I always try to speak when I know something about the topic at hand. Have you also checked out our cookie cutters? Here are some of some possible combinations as well.
20 fish, 4 species, 1m4f:
Cyno afra
Ps. Saulosi
Rusty
Red Zebra

Or

15 demasoni
5 lab

Or

10 maingano
6 Saulosi
4 Rusty

How's that? :thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
iceprizm said:
I have the opportunity to redo my 75G tank and am looking for some stocking suggestions. I always wanted large, colorful, cichlids but I dont know what will work in a 75G. I like the colors of JDs and green terrors but I'd like some experienced suggestions.
If you like the JDs maybe check out the electric blue variety. I've seen some really sharp looking ones.

·
Registered
625 Posts
davidsrego, great suggestion! I spend most of my time on the Malawi page and forgot that this was in "Tank Setups." Electric Blues would be really neat, especially since OP said that he wanted "large, colorful cichlids."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
other replies I have gotten suggest a flowerhorn, midas, red devil, carpintis, or trimac.

I am looking for 1 large, colorful, aggressive fish.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
davidsrego said:
iceprizm said:
If you like the JDs maybe check out the electric blue variety. I've seen some really sharp looking ones.
Yes the ebjd is very colorful. You might be able to get away with 3-4 but as maturity comes along it depends on sex. Ebjds do hide if spook IME. Ebjds grow very slow too, about half the rate of regular jds.
Here is my big ebjd at 7". I have 5 more in other tanks that I have had for 6months purchased at an inch. They are now around 3-4 inches. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Flippercon said:
davidsrego said:
iceprizm said:
Yes the ebjd is very colorful. You might be able to get away with 3-4 but as maturity comes along it depends on sex. Ebjds do hide if spook IME. Ebjds grow very slow too, about half the rate of regular jds.
Here is my big ebjd at 7"
. I have 5 more in other tanks that I have had for 6months purchased at an inch. They are now around 3-4 inches. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont want to run into issues with aggression. My other tank is a 180G community and there are no lfs in my area where I can swap out fish. Thats why I was leaning towards a one fish tank.

Also I noticed the everyone has those clay pots in there tanks, do the fish really utilize them?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
iceprizm said:
I dont want to run into issues with aggression. My other tank is a 180G community and there are no lfs in my area where I can swap out fish. Thats why I was leaning towards a one fish tank.

Also I noticed the everyone has those clay pots in there tanks, do the fish really utilize them?
Yes its a cheap alternative for cover. They also use to lay eggs in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To bad they dont make them in different colors.

Is there a recommended online store to purchase cichlids?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Check the reviews section under retailers. Also you can post wanted ads in the trading post. I had a retailer find one of my posts and pm me to let me know they had them in stock. :thumb:
You can paint the pots to your liking too.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Fh are so personable. You won't regret your choice. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts