Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I have a 90G tank that is currently housing 7 Yellow Labs, 5 Acei, 3 Hai Reefs, and 1 Lab sp Hongi. Im getting some female Hongi and some more Hai Reefs (looking for females). I know thats a lot of fish but my plan is to dwindle the numbers down here real soon (next few days) so that I have 4 Labs (1m 3f), 3 Acei (1m 2f), 3 Hai Reefs (1m 2f) and 3 Lab sp, Hongi (1m 2f). That will give me 13 fish. Im not really looking for breeding but if it happens then it does and what survives, survives. Is there another fish that will work with this stock list???

(Also I know that the Hongi can crossbreed with the yellow Labs but like i said Im not worried about breeding)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you have good filtration on the tank, there is no need to trim back the group sizes. Both acei and Yellow lab will be happier in larger groups.

I would just add to each of your two smaller groups and remove extra males as necessary.

I would not add a fifth species.

Kim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run a tide pool on this tank. So how many fish can I keep in this tank??? To me it seems pretty full right now, but...

·
Registered
52 Posts
FishGeek said:
(Also I know that the Hongi can crossbreed with the yellow Labs but like i said Im not worried about breeding)
I think that you are not going to have too much control when a male fish meets a lady fish and they are both "in the mood". You may want to consider some catfish like some synodontis.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 10 inches Sailfin in this tank also. She takes care of any little fish.

My other thoughts are to get rid of the Acei and the Labs and keep only my Hongi and my Hai Reefs for this tank. How would that work??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok at first I wasnt really into breeding, but now I think that it might be nice to make the proper conditions there and hope for a few breedings. Should I just sell the Yellow Labs and leave the other 3 sp in there??? Or would ya'll get rid of the Acei too???

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would remove the Yellow labs or the hongi, but I don't see any need to remove anything else.

Kim

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
When done properly (compatable species and proper groups size and ration) overcrowding mbuna works very well (providing you have enough filtration....which you seem to have.)

An example:

My 75g has
5 Ps. socolofi 1m/4f
6 Cyno afra Jalo Reef 2m/4f
8 Yellow Labs 3m/5f (as best I can tell by venting and those that have held)
5 ps acei (never checked sex)
(there are a couple of others in their but are only temporary)

I filter it with a wet/dry and a Rena XP3. All the fish are adults and are breeding on a regular basis. With 50% weekly water changes, the nitrates never go about 20ppm.

It is not something that I would recomend everybody do, but with carefull monitoring (had to try 3 different male socolofi before I found a calm one) it makes a very fun and active tank. With your tank having more water volume and a bit more height (for running away) you could easily go with Kim's suggestions. I would however get rid of the sailfin. Plecos really create a huge amount of waste and as they become larger (usual once they hit about 6-7 inches) stop the good algae control become fish food scavengers. Just by dropping her you will have reduced your bio load more than if you got rid of all of your current labs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the one thing that is not negotiable. I have had my Sailfin since she was 1.5 inches and she is the most georgous one that I have seen to date (http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/image. ... ge_id=1102 she was about 6-7 inches then) She has been with me since I started fish keeping and although people tell me to get rid of her I just cant do it. I wish I could get her into another tank but with a baby on the way I just cant set up another tank. But maybe one day I can get her one, but for now she is going to stay where she is.

So the Hongi and the Hai Reefs are my main focus atm. I think the Yellow Labs will be finding a new home and I will increase my numbers of Hongi and Hai Reefs.

What would be the ideal m/f ratio with these guys??? I currently only have 2m/1f Hai Reef but am getting 3 more females. As far as the Hongi I only have 1m atm but am getting 3 more females.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts