Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! I am new to this forum and new to African cichlids, My tank's ammonia just dropped and the nitrites spiked - It was the same feeling I had with the birth of my first child. My thoughts went to stocking the tank. I wanted to pose two questions to you experienced fish keepers to help out a newbie like myself,. Firstly, I was looking at stocking this 75 gallon with lab caeruleus (yellow labs) (1-3), Ps Socolofi (powder blue) (1-3), Maylandia Estherae (red Zebra) (1-3) and PS white tail "ACEI" (1-3). Does this sound like a reasonable community to you people? Secondly, there is a healthy debate on mixing peacocks & Mbunas and I have looked at everything from both camps there. My question to you is this: Would it be crazy to try to have a Eureka red and Lemon Jake in with this community? I thought it would be cool but I want the advice of experienced African cichlid keepers. Thank you and sorry to bore you guys with these questions as I'm sure some of you have seen these stocking questions a million times. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I would not mix labs and red zebra as they hybridize. Also I found the socolofi and the acei to be too close in color (mid blue) and I ended up swapping out one species to get more contrast.

Go with 1m:4f of each. I'd skip the peacocks, but as long as you have a rehoming plan can't hurt to try.

If you want male peacocks...do one jacobfreibergi (both the eureka and the jake are jacobfreibergi) and choose a red, a yellow, a blue along with the yellow labs and the acei. That could work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice - I really appreciate it. If I went just with mbunas which as you suggested is probably the smartest thing to do and I start with the yellow labs and ACEI would you have any suggestions for tank mates? I've read that demasoni can be very aggressive but how about Labeotropheus Fulleborni OB? It would give me a different color in the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love your set up! Very nice! I like Rusties as they are also a less aggressive Mbuna (also their color offsets the bright yellow labs). As you can probably guess it is a less aggressive Mbuna tank that still has a variety of color was what I was going for and why I was considering putting in a few peacocks with yellow labs and Acei. I really like your selection of fish as well. Yes I think some rustys are in order - Any ideas for a 4th color? I know their are albinos, OB's but I'm definitely looking for less aggressive varieties. Thanks for the suggestion - as someone new to mbunas I really appreciate hearing from those who have experience keeping the different varieties!!

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You could do Cynotilapia zebroides. Females are not as colorful as males but the males are spectacular. Cobue is one of the least aggressive Cynotilapia.

Labeotropheus are a little more aggressive. Also males are colorful...females are often OB but more of a flesh color.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spectacular is right . Wow!! The male is unbelievable. Hopefully I can pick up this species around here. Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out. I'm definitely set on what I want to stock the tank with. Cheers!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts