Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, apologies for probably a much repeated question! I have a juwel Rio 180. I've done so much research and still cant come up with answer as to if or what cichlids I can keep in this tank. I think I lean towards people suggesting mbuna? I'd be happy with dwarf cichlids but again when I look for ideas on dwarf cichlid tanks i only get answers about keeping one or two in a community tank and nothing about keeping a group of them! Can anyone suggest specifics of how many and what type I can keep of any cichlds at all? I'd like to add I am new to cichlds but it's probably the last genre of fishkeeping I'm dipping my toe into so I am not a beginner in the fish world overall. Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
This is a 40" tank. Most mbuna are better in a 48" tank or longer.

What about Lake Tanganyika cichlids? If you want a group as opposed to a couple of pairs...consider brichardi. The first pair likes to have the entire tank to themselves, but then they will spawn and tolerate their own fry and form a colony.

It is considered a small tank when talking about African cichlids. If you had a 48"x18" tank you would have many more options such as mbuna and other Lake Malawi cichlids.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you want some Mbuna go for it, as long as you don't go for anything overly aggressive and put loads of rocks for hiding places you should be fine.

1. X15 saulosi 3M 12F

2. X5 saulosi 1M 4F and X5 White labs 1M and 4F

1 - 3 of 3 Posts