Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am upgrading my 55 to a 75, or maybe larger. Here is my stocking list, but I'm still somewhat lost on a few species, especially if I upgrade the tank to possibly a 125.

Here is what I was thinking...
Electric Yellow x4-6
Yellow Tail Acei x3-4
Kenyi x5-6
Demasoni x12-15

Would I be able to add another species in a 75 with this set up? And if I went without Demasoni, what other species would you recommend? Rusties maybe? Red or cobalt blue Zebra some that I like, any help would be appreciated :fish:

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I'd leave out the kenyi for two reasons.
1) The male will chase around your yellow labs
2) The females are blue barred - like Demasoni. Likely to see some aggression there.

No red zebra if you want to keep fry from the yellow labs. Cobalt zebra and rusties both seem like good options. Alternatively I think a Labeotropheus Fuelleborni or Trewavasae would fit in nicely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried about any fry, probably going to get a few syno multis for baby patrol. So I'm thinking for 75 ideally...
Labs
Acei
Rusties
Socolofi or Cobalt Blue
Dems

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
bossfan372 said:
I'm not worried about any fry, probably going to get a few syno multis for baby patrol. So I'm thinking for 75 ideally...
Labs
Acei
Rusties
Socolofi or Cobalt Blue
Dems
If you stick with four species for a 75 - you should find it more manageable in 6-8months.

Good Luck.

·
Administrator
41,827 Posts
I agree with GoofBoy and other members on four species. Five is good for a 72" tank but better to wait until you have it to add the last species.

The reason to not mix look-alikes and crossbreeders is also to avoid aggression, not just hybrid risk. But you may find (like I did) that even with multipunctatus you get survivor fry. This is a pain with hybrid risk because you have to monitor them and remove them before they mature to maintain your original, pure population.

If it helps with decision making, I also had acei and socolofi. I found the colors of the two species did not give me enough contrast and removed the socolofi.

Labs and acei like to be in larger groups of 5-6. Demasoni I would not go below 15 in a 75G tank.

You could consider Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) instead of the demasoni. I'd stock 1m:7f for Maingano.

·
Administrator
41,827 Posts
With kenyi in the mix you go down to 3 or even 2 species in a 75G tank. The males of kenyi and labs are both solid yellow. Maybe kenyi and rusties? Remember the kenyi need 1m:7f.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.