Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I just have a question and a concern that hopefully some more knowledgeable fish keepers can help me out with.

After keeping Oscars for the majority of my fish keeping life time I decided to try something a little different. I did some research and decided I wanted to have a look at Jack Dempsey and Severums as they appealed to me a lot. I understand that sometimes cichlids will just not get along and I am prepared for that eventuality. On to the questions and concerns

I have a 75 Gallon tank currently and I am planning to upgrade to a 100 Gallon tank by later summer to early fall. I went to the local fish store about an hour away and talked to there cichlid guy and inquired as to not only what fish could potentially go together, but also how many I could keep in this size of tank. So long story short I ended up purchasing 2 Red Shoulder Severum, 2 Firemouths and a Jack Dempsey. My main concern is that I bought to much and over stocked my tank. Right now there is no major aggression issues aside from a little chasing by the one firemouth who has claimed the tank as his. All the other fish do not really care that each other are around and just enjoy the tank and the food I give them.

My question then turns to if I am able to once I upgrade my tank to a larger size. What type of bottom feeding fish would you say is a safe bet to house in the tank. I was thinking a pleco or loach of some kind that only grows to 6-8 inches if they exist. I know clown loaches and the common pleco grow to a very good size so they are of course off the list.

Thanks for the feed back :)

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Welcome to C-F

No telling if the mix will work out long term. Provide plenty of line of sight breaks with boulders and wood. Monitor their interaction closely. You did not mention their size, but I'd be concerned with larger fish being introduced, as you'd have a better chance at success if the fish were small from the start. Adding only 2 of one species can lead to problems if they are incompatible with one another, or if they pair off. I'd look to upgrade to something like a 125 gallon which gives you a great length and width.

An adult bristlnose pleco introduced now would likely be your best bet. They don't grow large and many do a decent job feeding on algae that grows on your decor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome :)

All the fish are only 2-3 inches at most right now. I currently have lots of places for them to escape and hide so they do not feel to stressed. I didn't even think about them pairing off with one another it is something I will have to keep an eye on.

I will for sure be upgrading the tank to give these guys some more room and let them swim :)

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
*** never kept severums so cannot comment on their pairing/breeding. The Thorichthys I have kept are decent parents and did not kill anything in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts