Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I plan to add between 25 to 30 (depending on advice) 2" mbuna to my new tank at once after it has properly cycled.

I will be using Dr Tim's ammonia for the cycling. I want to avoid a new cycle when the tank is stocked.

How many fish can a tank cycled the recommended way handle without causing a new cycle? Once cycled should I gradually increase the ammonia input to further build up the beneficial bacteria to handle the planned load?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank and how big are the fish? If you are adding 25 fish I hope you have 72" tank or larger?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry my number was off. I have a 75g and was looking at 4 species in a 1m4f ratio. Elec Yellow, Rustys, Aeci etc.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
The level of overstocking I and others have found ideal for managing aggression is 20 individuals if you stock species like you mention. 1m:4f each of 4 species. Yes, if you cycle with ammonia and get to the point (allow six weeks on average) where the beneficial organisms can process 2ppm of ammonia within 24 hours, the tank can handle adding all the fish at once.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice, you have been very helpful!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts