Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have finally decided on a stock for my 45 gallon. What does everyone think?

4 yellow lab- harlem
4 maingano- Harlem
1 blood parrot
2 peacocks - 1 male, 1 female
6 juli Cory's
1 bristle nose pleco

Questions:
Is this to many fish? If so, what would you get rid of or replace? Think I really want the blood parrot, I've heard such good things about their demeanor towards their owner. Is this true?

Is there a certain order I should add them? All at once or a few at a time?

Does the blood parrot need to have another blood parrot with it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? Yes it does sound like too many fish.

IDK about blood parrots with Malawi. Cories and Malawi are definitely a bad idea. Peacocks and maingano are not likely to do well together and Malawi do not pair...the female is likely to be harassed. If you want to stock mixed gender, think in terms of 1m:4f per group including the peacocks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank dimensions are 36x12x23

I think I meant Demasoni and not the maingano.

I had a tank with cories and labs for 6+ months before I had a water incident and everything died. ☹

What is your suggestion? I love labs but I don't want just a bunch of yellow fish. Haha

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
I have tanks this size and my experience says it's tight for just the demaisoni as a single species tank. These 36" tanks tend to be grow out tanks for me, so their residents are not permanent. My demaisoni are in a 55. A 75 or 90 would be more interesting I think. There is about four inches average of Java moss on the bottom over the bottom, and a number of caves and tunnels, most with Anubias or Java fern attached. Fry hide in the moss and everyone else claims a cave. But when they see the fish food, they are all out and waiting. I did add several adult male Limia sp. tiger to nibble on the algae recently, but for several years it had been single species.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
A 36" tank can work for a single species of Malawi. Pseudotropheus (now Chindango) saulosi would be my choice. There are not too many other species that seem to work in the smaller tank: Yellow labs (1m:4f) or rusties or Cynotilapia cobue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts