Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I've been spending many many hours reading this forum and others trying to narrow down the cichlids I want for my tank. I just need that one last nudge because frankly the more I read, the more confused I'm getting. lol

My setup:
90 gallon tank
30 gal sump with area set aside for future refugium or other use
700 gph pump
350 watts heating
sand substrate and rocks (will be adding some more I think)

Tank is currently a few days into cycling process.

Originally I wanted Mbua but they require more rock then I want to put in my tank, so I have decided to go with peacocks.

I would like some nice colors - I understand the females remain dull.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
So are you thinking all male to get the color? Have you read the all-male tank article in the Library?

I found about a dozen (plus or minus) cichlids in the 48" x 18" tanks work well. But I would combine small haps (mature at 6" or under) with the peacocks as well for more variety and color.

Also take a look at all-male stocking by experienced members like Joea, Fogelhund and GoofBoy to get ideas. Use the Your Tanks by Member feature.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
Well peacocks crossbreed. So you are looking at one male and four or more females. And only one peacock species in the tank.

I'd definitely look into having the second species be a hap. Hap females also are not colorful (silver) for most species.

And maybe labs and acei for species 3 and 4?

With mixed genders you can do more like 20-25 fish. One male of each species. Four or more females for each.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts