Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I plan to put in this tank, most will be in the 2-3" range, and will hopefully be trio's. Let me know if there are any potential conflicts or problems. Will the peacocks crossbreed? Will the Copadichromis crossbreed?

-6 Aulonacara Dragonblood/Ruby Crystal
-3 Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chiwindi)
-5 Tramitichromis sp. "Intermedius"
-3 Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe Rocks)
-3 Copadichromis trewavasae (Mloto Likoma)
-3 Copadichromis azureus
-3 Copadichromis borleyi "Red Fin"

Tank is a 125g with Sand and 100lbs of Lace rock.

Thanks, Kurt

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You're peacocks may be inclined to crossbreed...unfortunately. Not to sure about the Copadichromis crossbreeding i haven't had enough experience with them to answer that but i think they may be inclinded to also.
There isn't much point have two males of the same species either, because you will end up have a sub-dominate male who will fail to colour up to it's full potential.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gibbs said:
There isn't much point have two males of the same species either, because you will end up have a sub-dominate male who will fail to colour up to it's full potential.
I intend on having only one male per species if at all possible. The groups of fish larger than 3 I got as fry/juvies.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming people!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Purely a personal opinon -- I don't think the dragon's blood peacocks look very natural. Why not substitute a trio of ruby reds? Or may a trio of Red Empresses? You have a large enough tank for them.

You have a nice large tank. You might also consider 5 or so p. acei, which are nice.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Or may a trio of Red Empresses? You have a large enough tank for them.
That is a very good point, I kept a trio of Red Empress for quite some time in a tank full of Peacocks and not once did the females cross breed with any of the male peacocks. I'm not saying that it is impossible but i never experienced so that's a good sign. They are also very prolific breeders, before you no it you have a tank full of fry.

The suggestion is definately worth a thought

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hollyfish2000 said:
Purely a personal opinion -- I don't think the dragon's blood peacocks look very natural. Why not substitute a trio of ruby reds? Or may a trio of Red Empresses? You have a large enough tank for them.

You have a nice large tank. You might also consider 5 or so p. acei, which are nice.
The DB peacocks I bought kind of on a whim. They are OK looking so far. Hopefully they get the full color going soon. And yes I agree they do look a little unnatural, which I'm not a fan of. But everyone else in the house likes them because they are bright.

I was shying away from red empresses, because they are herbivores and everything else in the tank will be carnivores. Is that a legit concern?

And the acei are not available from where I will be buying next week.

Thanks! Keep it coming!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that i've looked again, Red Empresses aren't available either. But I was considering Taiwan reef's instead. Would a herbivore have problems in this tank? I plan on feeding a fairly high protein diet.

I have the color blue covered, now I want to make sure there is some Yellow and Red/Orange to go with it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Haps and Peacocks are not like Mbuba. Keep an all male tank, they'll be much more enjoyable.
To mix your fix promotes agression and hybridization. If you truly want to breed, choose a couple specied or do a specied tank. But in all honesty, unlike Mbuna, female Haps/Peacocks(with a few exceptions) are dull and drap. Why have this when you can have a stunning tank of color with male specimens.

And also unlike many Mbuba, Haps/peacocks don't need females to show their best color! They'll show to each other without females present and look great.

Here are some photos of some fish and tanks I've kept.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stevebarlow4/MyMalawiCichlids

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I feed New Life Spectrum to my tank of peacocks, haps, p. acei and labs with no problems.

I second the "all male" approach, which is what I've done.

I do like Taiwan Reef's. I don't have one mostly because I can't find one!

Don't forget to get some synodontis for your tank. They are very amusing and catch any food that falls to the substrate. I have 4 multipunctatus and they are very active. They aren't good to have if breeding is a goal, so you could substitute petricola instead. You have lots of room in your tank. I"m envious . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts