Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what the recommended stocking number would be for a cube shaped aquarium measuring (in inches) 30Lx30Wx24D? I'll be stocking with peacocks and haps that have a peaceful conspecific temperament, so I'm hoping I don't have to over stock the tank. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Length is most important, and 30" is rarely recommended for Malawi. I would try a species tank with saulosi, but would not be confident anything else would work.

You want a 48" tank or longer for haps and peacocks.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
It's a considerably larger tank then most 30" tanks. Based on the given dimensions, it's a 94 gallon tank. It has slightly more footprint then a standard 75 or 90 gal. 43 inch distance from the back corner to opposite front corner. You'd think that decor could be set up to utilize this distance.
Never owned a tank with these sorts of dimensions, so no personal experience with this type of tank.
Sure, it's not a 4ft tank , but it's considerably larger tank then a standard 55 gal. or "40 breeder" (36" x18" x 16"). In the very least, don't see why you couldn't stock it as many other people stock Malawi in a "40 breeder".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it's apprximately 93 gallons. I've attached a picture of it below. Obviously it'll need to be rescaped to accommodate cichlids, but hooefully it'll help to have a visual reference. I would prefer to only add 4-6 fish about 3" in size. I'd prefer an all male tank, but if that doesn't work, maybe a breeding colony?

19FA7B5D-B534-4E91-A41B-B2652EDFE3B7.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
You could do 1m:4f of the saulosi.

I think you would need more than 6 fish to manage aggression and I would not do peacocks in a 30" tank or a 36" tank like a 40G breeder.

Well, maybe the very timid peacocks like Kandeense, but I would do 1m:4f if you try those.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's a nice tank but I would never waste that tank on malawi cichlids. Most of them stay out of the top area completely. Rusties and auratus will swim around the various levels a lot more, but auratus should really have wide spaces between each other.

You need to have lots of cover and breaking of line of sight to make a good african cichlid tank and that is not something you can do well in that tank and if you did do it it would occlude the viewing area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts