Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there. I am new to this forum.

I currently own a 55 gallon and I'm looking for a 90g 4ft wide. Could be more gallons as long at it remains 4ft wide.
Currently this is my population, they're all sub-adults, with axelrodis breeding already:
-9 melanochromis johanni (5m/4f.... i thought it would turn out to be 2m/7f, but i was unlucky i guess)
-6 c. axelrodi (1m/5f): interesting fish, but the male killed the other males, so not a good idea to have many in a small tank.

-7 trewavasae Chilumba (3m/4f) I thought I had bought 2m/5f but one guy turned out to become a he... but he's completely dominated.

1 ancistrus. i had 2, one died of what seems to be starvation yesterday....

Overall the johanni are dominating the tnak. The trewavasae were supposed to be pests, but they are much more peaceful than the johanni. Turns out the females are more agressive than the males and they hold their ground against the other fish.

My goal by posting here would be to receive suggestions for a 4th species, any genus, and kind, im not an expert at all. I got a planted tank, so hopefully a fish that wont destroy the whole setup.... since Xmas (they spent 4 days without food) they already are messing my stuff up. The java and the anubias are holding up tho.

So any suggestions are welcome! Maybe a different color? Black, white, dark blue? I already have rusty, blue barred, and metallic blue...

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Labidochromis caeruleus or Metriaclima estherae. And I'd trade those extra males on all species for females.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Just so you know, there's very little reason to upgrade from a 55 to a 90 if they're both 4' wide. Mbuna determine territories by floorspace, not by gallons, so while you'll have more water to diffuse the bioload, you won't have more space to diffuse the coming aggression as your fish mature.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
The 90G is 18" wide versus the 55G at 12" wide. So you do get some extra territory.

What you said is true for a 75G versus a 90G however. The only difference is height which the fish are not very interested in anyway. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
DJRansome said:
The 90G is 18" wide versus the 55G at 12" wide. So you do get some extra territory.

What you said is true for a 75G versus a 90G however. The only difference is height which the fish are not very interested in anyway. :thumb:
agreed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, thx for that piece of advice. so if i go for a 24" wide, compared to my actual 13", they will benefit from it.

as for the extra males, i am actually trying to trade them, even tho the aggression isnt that bad atm.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
While I think 18" buys you the option to add one more species to a 48" tank...I don't with 24" buys you the option to add anything. Even though the footprint doubles, the males really can't get far enough away from each other given only 24".

I'd say four species is maximum in a 48" tank for any width equal to or greater than 18".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts