Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on stocking a 90 gallon 4 foot long Mbuna tank...some species I like (though I know I can't do all) are:
P. Acei- yellow tail
P. Saulosi
Cobue Afra or white top afra
Maingano
Maybe the Yellow lab
Blue Cobalt or Red Zebra
Perlmutt

Any suggestions on which I should get (i really want Acei) and how many of each would be appreciated,
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Think in terms of four species with 1m:4f of each. This could vary depending on the species you choose.

Acei
Maingano (1m:7f of these)
Labidochromis, yellow or perlmutt but not both
Metriaclima, callainos or estherae but not both
Saulosi or cynotilapia but not both

There, down to five so you only have to eliminate one category. Probably a good idea not to mix the yellow lab and metriaclima estherae to avoid hybrid babies.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
That's definitely a lot of blue and yellow, which will look really nice with the different shades and patterns. From what DJR said, I'd choose (based on aesthetics/minimizing hybrids and aggression):

Acei (either type)
Maingano
Saulosi
Met. callainos

That way you've got dark blue, purple, yellow, a more golden-yellow, light blue, and some black stripes (both vertical and horizontal) - lots of patterns and body types, as well.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
That's definitely a lot of blue and yellow, which will look really nice with the different shades and patterns. From what DJR said, I'd choose (based on aesthetics/minimizing hybrids and aggression):

Acei (either type)
Maingano
Saulosi
Met. callainos

That way you've got dark blue, purple, yellow, a more golden-yellow, light blue, and some black stripes (both vertical and horizontal) - lots of patterns and body types, as well.
Another alternative would be to swap out the M. callainos for Orange Blotch (OB) M. estherae for an extra bit of colour/patterning.

An example picture that is not an endorsement of the source: http://www.livefishdirect.com/store.php?fid=21

kevin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ridley25 said:
dielikemoviestars said:

Acei (either type)
Maingano
Saulosi
Met. callainos

Another alternative would be to swap out the M. callainos for Orange Blotch (OB) M. estherae for an extra bit of colour/patterning.

An example picture that is not an endorsement of the source: http://www.livefishdirect.com/store.php?fid=21

kevin
Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't like "blotchy" looks...when I had angelfish I refused to go with the marble even though it took me forever to find non-marbled angels, lol...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
aquagirl900 said:
DJRansome said:
Saulosi or cynotilapia but not both
May I ask why?
The males of the cobue and the hara (white top) are both predominantly blue fish with black bars, as are the saulosi - battles will ensue.

kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts