Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have questions regarding stocking my new 75 gal. tank.

Current stocking:

2 Blue Gourami's 3"
1 Opaline Gourami 2"
2 Gold Gourami's 2"
1 Green Cory Cat 3"
1 Pangasius Catfish 4"

What would be compatible cichlids with these fish?? I'd love to get a Firemouth, as well as a rubber lip Pleco. What other cichlids would normally mix well with these fish? At this point, I'm not interested in pairing up fish. I was thinking about getting a blood parrot, but given they're a hybrid, I'm a little hesitant. Any info would be fantastic!!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I think with a few changes, your rubber lip pleco and firemouth would go fine with these fish.

The one change I would make, is to lose the Pangasius, as they can get absolutely HUGE... If you have a pond, KUDOS!!

I'd swap out the Pangasius, buy about 5 more cory catfish, and try a firemouth. If the firemouth decides to terrorize the cories like my honduran red point did, then trade them in for perhaps a raphael or four line pimelodella catfish, as they're a bit more robust, and grow a little larger (too large for the FM to bully).

How are the gouramis together? Normally gouramis are aggressive to one another, especially if there are 2 males involved. Maybe try to bring your gourami number down to two or three.

My stocking would be...

3 gouramis (your choice, aim for 1m/2f)
1 firemouth (male)
2 four line pimelodella catfish (with hiding spots to get out of the light, and out of the FM's sight)
1 orange seam pleco (check them out, pretty awesome)

If you want to do another cichlid, then I would can the catfish (other than the pleco) and do one medium cichlid, maybe a blue acara, or a female nicaraguense, or a blood parrot

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The Gourami's are kinda nasty to each other.... but so far I haven't had any major issues... They chase each other around, but thats about it.

The Pangasius was actually given to me, I'll see if I can find it a home.

Are there any other cichlids that would be good other than the nicarguense or the blue acara? I haven't seen either of those available locally. I'd like to have a variety of color in the tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts