Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and have a question regarding male/female ration of my tank. I only started a cichlid tank about 3 mos. ago and in the beginning bought a male and female peacock about 3" long. About a week later bought 7 smaller peacocks,2 of them the yellow and red one were already brightly colored, the rest not so much, but as they were all only about 1 1/2" long was hard to tell what sex the other ones were. Now 3 mos. later, I still am not sure if they were all males or if there are some females in the group, and I know it cant be good for the only female if they are all male. Should I add a few more females to the tank, is there such a thing as having too many females if some of the others are female? At this point everyone seems to get along great, but since they are not mature yet that may not stay that way for long. I was also hoping to add some yellow labs to the mix. I posted video of the 75 gal but it is under the photo and video section of the forum, if anyone gets a chance and looks at it maybe I could get some opinions of this. Thanks for the help!

75G
PH-7.8
KH-180
GH-300
Nitrates-20 or below
Nitrites-0-.5
amonia-0

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Since peacocks crossbreed you would want only one species in the tank if you have females in the tank.

If you want a variety of brightly colored males, you would not want females in the tank at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip! My only problem is when i first started the setup, I got two larger peacocks thinking they were both males, now that they are more mature its clear it is a male and female. A couple weeks after getting them I got 7 new ones that I was told were all male, but now after a couple mos. Im not sure that a couple of them may be female. I posted a video of the tank to see if anyone may be able to tell if the more drab ones are in fact female, though I know it may be impossible to tell by a video!! Im just not sure now what I should add to the tank not knowing what I have in there now. I have decided to take the large female back to the LFS and hope that what I have left are all male. Thanks for getting back to me!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts