Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
41,852 Posts
Oh boy.

Well first I don't think you can add fish to the 30G. Silver dollars get big...maybe overstocked already. But I'm not experienced with non-Africans.

Regarding your filters, look up the gph (gallons per hour) of each filter. You want 7X to 10X hourly turnover.

There are exceptions, but in general, I would not combine mbuna with peacocks/haps. So for example the peaceful electra and aggressive flavus are a mix to avoid.

Malawi are harem breeders and you want 4 females for 1 male within a species. In a pair the male is likely to kill the female. So...you either want a smaller number of species in a 75G if you want male/female. Say four species. Or you want to go all-male with one male fish from each species, and choose fish that look nothing alike.

Packages like Hap/Peacock Assortment or Standard Malawi package may include hybrids or fish not to your personal taste or that will not mix well with others in your tank. I like to buy fish with a full scientific name and collection point so I know exactly what I am getting, and so I can keep the fry. I will do almost anything to avoid euthanizing a fish. :thumb:

Depending on how many fish are in the "packages and assortments" you may have too many fish for the tank size as well. For a 75G rectangle think in terms of 20 fish. It could be more or less depending on the species you choose, but just to get an idea.

·
Administrator
41,852 Posts
This would work. I would get rid of the unidentified cichlids because you cannot predict their behavior since you don't know what they are. And since you did not buy them with a scientific name, identification at this point would be more of a guess than 100% certain.
15 Pseudotropheus demasoni
1m:4f Pseudotropheus flavus
1m:4f Metriaclima estherae (red zebra)
1m:4f Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusty)

But you could also choose all male haps and peacocks. It just depends what you like.

·
Administrator
41,852 Posts
The labs and estherae will crossbreed so don't save fry from either species.

To give advice on filtration you would want to look up the gph of your existing filters, and the 2217 to see if you have achieved the 7X to 10X desirable hourly turnover. Eheim is a good filter. I prefer the Rena Filstar XP filters for ease of cleaning, but I own Eheims as well.

Wavemakers are more designed for a marine tank. Some fishkeepers like power heads to help with gph turnover.

I am not familiar with a T10 bulb. 10,000 will not be brighter than 6500...the number just represents a different color, not a greater intensity. 10000 is more white. 6500 has more yellow-red that plants like.

Fish don't need any light at all, so without plants the lighting is whatever the fishkeeper likes. It seems like 2 bulbs should be sufficient.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.