Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be setting up a SA cichlid tank soon. Depends on what I can get. I know there are many parts and qualities for SA cichlids, so to make this easier I am going to give a starter fish. What would work with Blue Acara in a 55g tank?[/i]

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
The only cichlid I can think to add would possibly be one of the smaller, not so aggressive dwarf pikes.

A 55g doesn't allow to many options becuase of it's size. It's a pretty thin 4 foot tank, and really isn't suitable for fish such as Severums or Chocolate cichlids.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If you're willing to expand to include CA, I'd heartily recommend the rainbow cichlid. You could do two pairs in a 4' tank along with cories, tetras and a BN pleco or two. My rainbows are fantastic -- they are pretty, not aggressive, hardy and have personality.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(Sorry, I guess I wasn't subscribed to this thread)

I might just forget the Blue Acara and build the setup around a more CA cichlid. What could I do with a/several Green Terror? I like those alot. Could I setup a multi-cichlid species tank (at least 2 species) with GT?

Thanks!

(edit; what is a rainbow cichlid?)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
check out library and profile section of this site. There's good info on this somewhat under-appreciated cichlid. I think the proper name is herotilapia multispinosa . . .

·
Registered
206 Posts
As far as fish goes , my true love is South American fish , but I do find Central American Cichlids very sexy ... Vejas really have my attention but I don't have any room for a 100 gallon tank or two .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will go with SA. If I've got 2 compatable species (rainbow cichlid & blue acara), I think I am fine with that. Are firemouths compatable? I have heard conflicting report that they are "nice cichlids".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts