Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to this board and want to wish everyone a happy new year.

I have a 75 gallon tank with Malawi and Victorians, but I just started a 55-gallon tang tank. So far, I have a mated pair of Julies, 4 one-inch black calvuses and 5 Cyp - Kitumbas (3 males and 2 females--about 2 1/2 inches).

Any suggestions for your favorites to add to my tank? I have black/white "cichlid" sand for substrate, decent rock work on the sides and open space (for the cyps). A fluval 404 canister and a HOB filter...

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
More cyps and maybe a shellie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but I was hoping for specific suggestions, if possible: gold ocellatus or multis as shellies, or something else...? Anyone have any good/bad experiences with Caudopunctatus?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Anyone have any good/bad experiences with Caudopunctatus?
Defend a small area, prolific breeders once they get going, hang around rocks, but not in them. They can work in many different setups. Just keep in mind that they may compete for shells with the shellies when spawning. Only negative experience was in the early going when a couple of males were murdered by other males. Other than that, nice fish, always out and visible, doesn't get too large, small territory requirements.

As for shellies, you could get a few pair of brevis or more. Their requirements are small. I've had and enjoyed gold occies. Currently working with and like l. ornatipinnis.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Caudos are one of my favorite tangs, but in a 55G you already have two rock dwellers. My caudos act more like rock dwellers than shell dwellers, so I would not add them unless you swap them out with the juli's or (gasp) the calvus.

Cyps, no choice on what kind to get since you already have Kitumbas.

For a shellie I would do multifasciatus I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.