Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Cichlids, and once I finish cycling my tank I'm obviously going to want to put some fish in.

I was looking at the "cookie cutter" guides for the 55, and I was looking at this list:

• Cyprichromis leptosoma - 12 (non-jumbos)
• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps
• Neolamprologus buescheri - 12
• Shell dweller pair of choice -
'Lamprologus' (Shellies) brevis,
multifasciatus (group), meleagris,
ornatipinnis, ocellatus, speciosus,
similis (group), Neolamprologus signatus

So, does the "12" next to fish species mean I want to get 12 of each kind? And then what about the others? (Not the shellies, since it says a pair of choice..) Does this mean I'd end up with 28-30 fish or so?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You're reading it right, but too many buescheri for a 55. Almost seems like it has to be a typo. The only one I'd do 12 of are the cyprichromis, and make sure they're not jumbos as they said. You could do a pair each of two different rock dwellers and some shellies, as suggested, but depends on the rock dwellers. Buescheri can be aggressive, so I might steer clear for a 55. Instead consider the comps or calvus, maybe 4 of them, and maybe a few of the smaller juli's like ornatus or transcriptus or marlieri gombe. But, if you're ok with removing any that get bullied, you can start with 6. Gives you better odds of getting a pair. Then you could add some shellies like ornatipinnis, or brevis. For a first timer, I'd recommend brevis. Docile, and small territory requirement. And really, for a first timer, I'd limit to one rock dweller as well. 3 species is plenty for a 55.

So you're final list might be:

12 cyprichromis (non-jumbo) or even paracyprichromis
6 comps or calvus or 6 small julies (the juli's will colonize a rock pile)
6 brevis or ocellatus, etc. or a shell bed colonizer like multi's

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts