Demsoni and labs738.89%
Zebra chilumba15.56%
Cynotilapia hara738.89%
Other316.67%

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should I stock my new 55 with demasoni and labs or white top haras or metriaclima sp zebra chilumba. If you pick other please post what you think.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
If you do hara or chilumba, etc. would it be a species tank?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Metriaclima sp. Zebra Chilumba are large (7") and aggressive. I wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 75 gallon, and really best would be a 6-footer.

(Hara or Demasoni) + Labs = would be a great choice for a 55g.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kanorin said:
Metriaclima sp. Zebra Chilumba are large (7") and aggressive. I wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 75 gallon, and really best would be a 6-footer.

(Hara or Demasoni) + Labs = would be a great choice for a 55g.
I was thinking they were a bit big and aggressive but I thought it wouldn't be a problem with only them in the tank. Sad part is that I'm only 15 I want a huge 180 gallon but I don't have money for it and my parents say it's to much so I have to stick to a bunch of 55s and 10 gallon fry tanks for now

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I also have a question. I'm getting the tank Sunday if I take the filter from my other tank and put it on the new one then fill the new tank halfway with water from my old tank them just fill it. I don't have to worry about cycling the tank, am I right?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Hara and labs would be nice. If you take a filter from an established tank, you will have no cycle (test daily to be sure). No need for half the tank water as well because the bacteria don't live in the water.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
Hara and labs would be nice. If you take a filter from an established tank, you will have no cycle (test daily to be sure). No need for half the tank water as well because the bacteria don't live in the water.
Thanks, I also think haras and labs would be nice but it worries me that the females are more drab looking if I get haras they will be f1 so they should be good quality but demasonis look amazing also I'm just confused lol and the haras are cheaper

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another stupid question but could I mix Cynotilapia sp hara with Cynotilapia sp lion Mara rocks instead of yellowlabs

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
II25tolifeII said:
Thanks, I also think haras and labs would be nice but it worries me that the females are more drab looking if I get haras they will be f1 so they should be good quality but demasonis look amazing also I'm just confused lol and the haras are cheaper
I definitely wouldn't call hara females drab. They may not be quite as flashy as Demasoni females, but they are colorful and can even flash male-like colors every now and then. 2 of my females look like males while they are holding.

Another stupid question but could I mix Cynotilapia sp hara with Cynotilapia sp lion Mara rocks instead of yellowlabs
There's a good chance that you'd see aggression between the males and crossbreeding. Especially in a smaller tank like a 55g.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kanorin said:
II25tolifeII said:
I definitely wouldn't call hara females drab. They may not be quite as flashy as Demasoni females, but they are colorful and can even flash male-like colors every now and then. 2 of my females look like males while they are holding.

There's a good chance that you'd see aggression between the males and crossbreeding. Especially in a smaller tank like a 55g.
ohh I thought Cynotilapia spieces had drab females. And if they wouldn't work what would be a good tank mate other then labs because I already have a Cynotilapia and lab tank

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Then I would do demasoni and labs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
K how many demasoni and labs should I buy for a 55 I know people say atleast 12 but I could add more right?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I'd buy 20 and plan to end up with 15 after removing excess sub-dominant males. Six labs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help I'm going to order these ASAP before I change my mind again lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
DJransome when you say get 20 of the demasoni and plan on keeping 15..is that 1 male and 14 females?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
treym563 said:
DJransome when you say get 20 of the demasoni and plan on keeping 15..is that 1 male and 14 females?
All you do is remove the rejected subdominate males with colonies of demasonis I think, I'm almost positive you don't have to worry about male to female ratios they take care Of that themselves from what I hear

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ordered 25 demasonis and 10 yellow labs and I split my fry tank into three for any rejected demasonis they are going to be here tomorrow when I get home from school I can't wait. I also accidentally stripped my Cynotilapia afra chimate to early but she picked all the babies up. I know they do that but I've never seen it I think it's cool how they do it(hope she picked them up instead of eaten them lol) seems like the babies were on day 13 not 18

1 - 19 of 19 Posts