Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

I just finished a DIY rockwork background for an extra 29g laying around the house and am looking into how to stock it. I'm thinking the following:

Synodontis petricola x1
Lamprologus ocellatus x3
Neolamprologus leleupi x2
Julidochromis ornatus x2

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Here's a pick of the currently curing rockwork I did.

And how it looks under tank lighting. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I'm going to finish it off with a TM sand, I think the dark colors should make the fish really pop.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 29G? Note that Synodontis Petricola like to be in groups of at least 3 individuals and 6 is better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a standard 29g, 30" long. I built the background sloping in rather than out to keep as much of the footprint of the tank exposed as I could. I also have some small caves and ledges built into the overhanging rockwork to encourage use of some on the height of the tank.

Ideally I'd like to keep at least three species with a good mix of colors.

What would you guys stock with if you had the choice?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I'd stick with 2 species (I have only 2 species even in a 36" tank). I'd choose Julidochromis Marlieri Gombe (because it's only 3") and Lamprologus Brevis (because it doesn't need dozens of shells). Six of each to start until they form a pair, and then return the extra fish to the LFS for store credit.

Tangs aren't known for being brightly colored. I think the Leleupi is the only exception, and it's not compatible with others in small tanks...or even very often in big tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts