Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's far away but I want to get planning as early as possible because it's a huge project (hopefully craigslist doesn't rip me off when I buy the tank lol) but I just got my parents to agree on getting me a 200 to 300 gallon tank for Christmas. For now I just wanna get an idea of a stocklist and how many fish I can Put in it. I'll worry about background and filtration later. I'm thinking about sticking to mbuna but I'll consider Haps and peacocks. I don't want an all male tank either so from my experience most Peacock females look the same so would that take them out of the question.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank I was looking at was 8 feet 3 in long 5 feet 7 in high and 2 feet 4 in wide supposedly ( I don't trust craigslist so much though)

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Ya... that's about 820 gallons. I think it is best to get the tank first, so that you know what you are are dealing with.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tbh I just want an 8 foot long tank I thought those dimensions seemed extremely wrong lol. So let's change the subject what can you stock in let's say an 8x2x2 just picked a random number for height and width lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that so an 8x2x2 tank is 240 gallons sounds about what Id like and a 10x2x2 is 300 gallons but I never heard of a tank with those dimensions

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sometimes when people put ads on Craigs List they give the dimensions of the whole set-up including stands and canopies. I am sure that is the case here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Agreed with gmascke. At 5'7" high, it is probably a 24" high tank, with 3'7" accounting for stand and lighting, or something around that.

So yes, that one you are referring to is probably about a 240g.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Just to get an idea, if you go mbuna maybe 8 species stocking 1m:4f of each.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm would have never thought of that good thinking but anyway if it's still there by christmas I'll get that one or I might ask if he could hold it (Proley won't) but it's worth a try it's supposedly a 300g with everything filets stand lights ect for 1500 to bad I think it was a saltwater tank before that would be alot of cleaning lol but anyway back on topic what could I possibly stock in a tankthis large I was looking at some zebra chilumba,polit,yellowlab,Wc cyno lion lions cove and ngara white tails any idea if this is good and if it is what's a good ratio. I could possibly go completely opposite to anything I've done before and do some trophues or frontosa.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts