Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 145 Oceanic tank--4 feet X 2 feet X 29 inches high. I'd like to stock it with mbuna cichlids...but which ones? I want colors--yellows, reds, oranges, blues, whites, blacks, etc. I would like some breeding to occur, as I am planning on breeding other cichlids (Daffodils, Angels, Kribs, and two types of Julies).

So, how many fish can I get into this tank? I plan on having an Eheim 2028 canister (it came with the tank) and Rena Xp3 or Xp4 for filtration, as well as a Tetra 60 HOB and lots of rocks and pool filter sand for substrate.

Types of fish I should be looking for? I know some of the basic ones...Yellow Labs, Red Zebras (which can interbreed with Yellow Labs...my favorite fish that just died after 5 years was a Red Zebra/Yellow Lab hybrid and I loved him to death), Damasonis, Aceis, etc. I'd like fish that I can easily and cheaply get either at Petco (they can order in me a lot of different types of cichlids), Petsmart, my LFS (they don't have a warranty on cichlids), or on Aquabid.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The fish you've listed can all cohabitate fine, though as you've mentioned there is a hybridization risk.

If it were me, I'd go with...

6 Labs
1m 4f Red Zebras
6 Ps. acei
18 Ps. Demasoni

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Nice stocking selection--the Demasoni's are cute.

What about this stocking:
6 x Maingano (1M-5F)
5 x Pseudotropheus Acei (1M-4F)
5 x Red Zebra (1M-4F)
5 x Cynotilapia Afra (1M-4F)
5 x Yellow Lab (1M-4F)
5 x Rusty Cichlid (1M-4F)
3 x Synodontis Multipunctatus

What are my other options for fish??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts