Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is would it be possible to stock Demasoni, Jalo Reef and Lion's Cove cichlids together without much issues and without hybridization? The other type of cichlid I am interested in to potentially swap with the lion's cove would be the cobue cichlids. Please let me know, I'm 3 weeks away from stocking and want to have my birds lined up and ready to go! I appreciate any help and advice!

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I have not had luck mixing different species of blue barred fish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
I have not had luck mixing different species of blue barred fish.
I think the Demasoni are the one species I want to keep, what else would mix well with them and add some uniqueness to the tank. I don't want to do electric yellow labs, I was hoping to have some more unique fish if possible.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you want demasoni in mixed tank I'd choose some auratus and kenyi and maybe a few more tougher cichlids.

They are going to somewhat disappear in a big tank, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
james1983 said:
How about an o.b. species like labeotropheus and snow white socolofi?
I like some of those labeotropheus species, they have some awesome patterns! I'll look into them more! Thank you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cyphro said:
If you want demasoni in mixed tank I'd choose some auratus and kenyi and maybe a few more tougher cichlids.

They are going to somewhat disappear in a big tank, though.
The Kenyi won't look too much like Demasoni? I almost feel like at that point I could keep the Jalo reef in my mix. I do like them!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Only the females are normally blue and it's a much different pattern and shade anyway. I have kept them together and they did not attack each other or interbreed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cyphro said:
Only the females are normally blue and it's a much different pattern and shade anyway. I have kept them together and they did not attack each other or interbreed.
Do you think the Jalo reef and Demasoni could work? There are slight differences like the kenyi has slight differences and they shouldn't interbreed because one is a petrotilapia and the other is a pseudotropheus right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts