Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone hates this question, but here it is: Tanganyikan community in a 5' 150. The tank is set up for frontosa, but the more I think about it the more I think I'd rather do a community with some interesting species.

Currently in residence are 5 2-3" goldhead comps and 3 inkfin calvus that are about 2".

Here is how the tank is laid out currently, and I don't plan on changing it (not going with plants, no flower pots or PVC pipe) though I would rearrange the rocks if necessary. They are stable and some are siliconed together.

What would work out well together with the Altolamps?

·
2,088 Posts
I know you know this, but it also depends on your long term goals, do you want to breed anything in the tank, or are you content to let nature take its course?

I'd second the motion for cyps, as it takes care of the upper water column, which in a 150 is the most difficult part to fill with Tangs.

I'd also add a bunch of syno petricola cats, as they add different shape and movement than cichlids do.

I like a lot of the larger lamps, and have kept singles of many of them without too much trouble :) Tetracanthus, Tret/Sexfasciatus (not both at once), a single Brichardi type, a leleupi, etc. I have always kept pairs or trios of julies which have bred often in my community tank, but have read that a lot of others find them super aggressive. I think some of these could work also - realizing that keeping singles precludes you from some of the more interesting behavior, but does give you color, shape, and size variation.

Always a fun thing to think about. BTW - like the set up of the tank!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions - I have kept many small Tang tanks so this one opens up enough options that I can't decide!

I am not particularly interested in breeding for this tank, so I'm going for an attractive display in our living area.

I love the idea of cyps, but I have heard so many people complain about them not acclimating and losing them, so I've been hesistant. Like other Tangs, I'd assume that slow acclimation and very stable tank conditions would be key.

I reckon I need to pop over to Aquabid and see what's available (and check my fish budget!).

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
IME, Altolamps are much more sensitive to acclimation stress than cyps, and the long term health is dependant upon them having a place to sleep. The set ups I've seen them waste away in do not have sufficient cover or territory for the cyps to hide and rest. You might consider adding some tall pieces of slate for the back wall, for example.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
triscuit said:
You might consider adding some tall pieces of slate for the back wall, for example.
The background of the tank is flat pieces of slate, split, cut and fitted by me, so that's why the back of the tank is matte and has no reflection. Would you suggest situating them in another way (they are flush and flat to the back of the tank, completely covering the glass)?

Do Cyps need vertical structure to sort of orient themselves to, like my P. nigripinnis? I could reposition the slate panels at oblique angles to create more of a 3D background in the upper rear strata of the tank if necessary, though I would not want fish getting trapped behind them. I'm leery of stacking any rocks all the way to the top, but I could switch out some of the flat, smooth stacked river rocks for more boulder-like round pieces that might go a little higher, but be safer.

When this tank was a heavily planted SA biotope it was much easier to utilize all of the levels, with driftwood, plants and particular species of fish, but I can see with Tangs it becomes trickier. Not a new dilemma on this forum, but new to me, at least on this scale. :wink:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
triscuit said:
IME, Altolamps are much more sensitive to acclimation stress than cyps.....
Let me just say that this current batch of Altolamps I have are proving to be tough as nails. I had a major issue recently that required almost complete dismantling of this tank, including a near total PWC (tank water at pH 8.1 and tap 7.4), and all of the comps and calvus have handled it beautifully, hiding for a bit after it was all over but getting back to normal remarkably quickly. I had calvus years ago that would faint and lie on the bottom with ever weekly water change - such drama! :roll:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Stellaluna said:
The background of the tank is flat pieces of slate, split, cut and fitted by me, so that's why the back of the tank is matte and has no reflection. Would you suggest situating them in another way (they are flush and flat to the back of the tank, completely covering the glass)?
Oh! Perfect- I see it now. :thumb:

Do Cyps need vertical structure to sort of orient themselves to, like my P. nigripinnis?
Not to the same extent, but it does help with stress mitigation. I think your slate will do the trick just fine. Cyps do sleep on the ground, though- and that's where catfish could be problematic... I don't recommend mixing synos and cyps. If you also go with a sandsifter, then I'd be careful about picking another rock-dweller.

I could reposition the slate panels at oblique angles to create more of a 3D background in the upper rear strata of the tank if necessary, though I would not want fish getting trapped behind them. I'm leery of stacking any rocks all the way to the top, but I could switch out some of the flat, smooth stacked river rocks for more boulder-like round pieces that might go a little higher, but be safer.
If you choose to add another rock loving species (Neolamp, Julidochromis, etc) then we'd probably tackle the aquascaping dilemma. As it is, I would think about removing some of the rocks for a sandsifter colony, and for greater separation between potential territories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.