Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired three new tanks, and am in the process of trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with each. I have a 29G 30x12x19 that I am still undecided about. The tank will be placed on our kitchen peninsula as a sort of "room divider." I was curious if any of these would do well in a 29G as a species tank? I've found conflicting information online about these guys and minimum tank size (go figure).

N. brichardi
N. pulcher
N. gracilis
N. leleupi
I'm also looking into C. brichardi "masked" as another option.

Would the open back and front of the tank be an issue or too stressing for any of them? I'm not sure if I would try to do one rock pile in the center, leaving swimming space all around, or two piles at each end, leaving open sand in the center.

Also, I'm currently setting up a 75G community tank which I hope to house either a pair or a lone calvus along with some shellies. If the calvus gets too big down the road and decides the adult shellies look tasty, could I realistically relocate them to the 29G with any of these species? Would the lone calvus be easier to relocate?

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So it's looking like my husband wants some fish that are a bit more "active" for this tank. It probably won't end up being a Tang tank... Back to the drawing board.

·
Super Moderator
2,036 Posts
The pulcher may have worked though you may be overrun with fry as I've found them prolific spawners.

A non-cichlid choice for color and movement would be some of the smaller Rainbowfish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've thought about rainbow fish, but I already have p. Luminatus in a 10G planted with dwarf Corys and blue velvet shrimp.
He also doesn't think they should be more of the "same thing." Haha. Since he is being so gracious in letting me set up all these tanks, I'll give him some input! ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,036 Posts
What about 'Lamprologus' caudopunctatus 'red fin'? It's a pretty fish, uses most of the tank but not as active as say tetras. I kept them in a 24" x 18" x 15"H tank and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Some members had aggression issues in tanks this size but it wasn't my experience. Multiple spawns, didn't kill older fry and I ended up distributing lots of offspring to club members in my area at a good price at auctions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll look into those, for sure. I also came across a thread where someone suggested saulosi (mbuna) for a 29, which my husband really liked... But not everyone agrees the tank is big enough for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts