Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125g cycling with Stability. Hoping to add fish end of next week. To start plan is:

5 Multi's
5 Alto Comp "Sumbu"
10 Altolamprologus calvus black congo white pearl

I thought I'd add the Multi's first, let them settle in for a couple of days, then the Sumbu's, letting them settle in for a couple of days, then the Calvus fry.

I'd like comments on the stocking here, good so far?

Also, lately I've started on page 81 on this forum, and worked my way backwards, trying to get ideas for dithers. I know most say Cyps, but after reading posts (I'm on page 45 :eek: ), I'm a little turned off by them. They seem more hit or miss and with the cost of 20 of them...I was thinking going with a tropical dither, danio, tetra's. Anyone have pics of their tanks with these types of dithers? Or ideas of dithers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I wouldn't mix two types of Altolamprologus together. Where the stocking goes from there, depends on which Alto you decide to keep.

Why not get a smaller group of Cyps, say 8, and a group of other dithers. I've had no issues with Cyps, and you could probably grow your own group from there. The other dithers I've had the most success with are rainbows. Something like a Neon Dwarf Rainbow is perfect in terms of size etc, to mix with Tangs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well %^&*, that $%^&*. :x OK, rethinking this, I def don't want the Alto white pearl male going after my Alto Sumbu males. I have other tanks I can set up for the Sumbu's.

Here is a pic of the tank the way it is scaped now:

Kinda have it separated into 3 sections, left, middle, right. If I put the multi's on the left, given the tank is 6 feet long, can I put another shell dweller in the tank, like as suggested above, gold pearly black occalatus? I've read over and over 2 types of shell dwellers in one tank is not advisable....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like the look of your aquascape and it may be just the fact that I cannot see close up pic, however I think you need more rock for 6 calvus. You have a lot of mid and upper water real estate to be filled with your dithers. Higher rock walls at back, clear mid tank and add some xenos / enants. I really like the left side of your tank, how you have set shells next to that sloping area of sand. Whether it stays like that when the multis come to town though!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep two groups of Altos' together in my 125gl. Yellow and Orange, also in the tank are 8 - Kigoma fonts and 3 - Moorii dolphins. Both groups seem to school together and tolerate each other. The yellow were in the tank about two weeks prior to adding my orange. If you provide them with places to hide it shouldn't be an issue. I spend a lot of time monitoring my tank for signs of aggression. The altos' are are close in size between 1" to 1 3/4", they have kind of split the tank in half other than at feeding time. :dancing: :fish: :thumb: 6

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've decided to go with:

7 Multi's
5 Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus
10 Altolamprologus calvus black congo white pearl

for now. I am considering 15-20 Bulu Point Cyps, but first I want to see how the multi's, punks and calvus do in the tank first. The Dwarf Alto Sumbu's are in a 20g long now, I have a 26g bow I'm going to rescape and put them in later this month.

Thanks for the advice all.

Loni

·
Registered
705 Posts
multis wont work out too well with the plants.. just my two cents but anything buried at all they will move. mine have gone to the floor in multiple locations within my tank. created walls craters all sorts of cool diggings.. also id get more shells.. lots more. the more the better. calvus will also breed within shells of an acomidating size. with that said, the craft stores have great deals on shells. most of its sea shell stuff but the way i figure it these types of shells will slowly release calcium among other hard water minerals helping to buffer my water hardness to an acceptable level without any additives on my end. GL in your choice. i really like the punks cyps shellies u have going on so far.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look on the left side of my tank, all the plants are java fern and anubius tied to shells or rocks. As they dig, the plants can be moved easily. I've done this before, it works, and makes me pay attention to them. There is some dwarf sag there I'll have to move, but right now it's melting :roll: . The longer plant in left back is a Apongenton, it's planted in the middle of a pile of small rocks. Your right tho, I'll have to keep an eye on that plant.

The vendor I use for shells was out of the shells I want to use for the White Pearls - Tonga - Large - for a month. I "bugged :wink: " him weekly, he finally got some in, I ordered, should be here sometime next week. I have about 100 whales eyes I've saved over the years from previous multi tanks. I did order 20 more a couple of months ago as I find the whales eye shells do start to dissolve in my well water, the sides get weak and they crack, anyone here have that problem?

Then punks are in a 29g Q'ing. First time I've stocked them. I really like their coloring. I can't wait to get my Calvus White Pearl from Razzo. :dancing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts