Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be building 2 large tanks in the early spring here and hope for some stock suggestions. One will be tang but the other all Malawi. So far I have 10 Copadichromis borleyi (Kadango), 7 Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli), 9 Fossorochromis rostratus and 9 Aulonocara stuartgranti (Hai Reef). I will be building a large Rock wall along the back and probably a few other piles. I appreciate any suggestions and changes to my list. Oh and I am also hoping to set it up so low chances of cross breeding.

Thanks RYan

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Are you looking to breed and collect fry out of this tank? If so, do you need a snorkel to do it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL If I get any fry then just a bonus, Just doing it to enjoy the tank. I had spawned, raised and sold fry for a few years now and want a new challenge lol. might get out the snorkle anyways though lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to do 3 protomelas in the tank but to scared of the chance of cross breeding
red empress
Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli),
and some protomelas spilinotos mara rocks

that would be awesome but think to risky for cross breeding

·
Registered
174 Posts
What about some Copadichromis Sp Mbenji? I have one and he is a stunner, gorgeous colors and a nice deep gold morph.

I have a sub-adult spilotonus tanzania right now, he seems to be a good time thus far.

Some chrysonotus white blaze are a good fish too, though the two I have had so far have been lacking in personality

·
Registered
363 Posts
rew said:
I would love to do 3 protomelas in the tank but to scared of the chance of cross breeding
red empress
Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli),
and some protomelas spilinotos mara rocks

that would be awesome but think to risky for cross breeding
Those three definitely will interbreed. In my community tanks, I have had had red empress males spawn with my Tanz. spilonotus females and a Sulfur crested male go after any female hap in the tank.

The borleyi, Tanz. spilonotus, Fossies and peacocks are a great start for the stocking. You could easily add a blue Placidochromis species or C. moori. That would be cool to watch them follow the fossochromis. I wouldn't worry about either of them breeding with your current stock. Additionally, you could add Placidochromis milomo or johnstoni, with little worry about them interbreeding.

A mid-size predator would be cool... a torpedo species Otopharynx or a Stigmatochromis.

With a tank that size, I wouldn't be too optimistic about being able to catch holding fish out of there. It's going to be one of those tanks you set up and leave alone to enjoy.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Is that 4 ft tall or wide? Man that will be really cool. I would definitely put some large haps, venestus, big lip, moori, in that size tank. Plus mbuna to occupy the back which I would stack high with rocks. You plan to put any cats in?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The tank is big... compared to most of our other tanks... but even a tank that size isn't that large for cichlids. I would pass on the flavus, probably will cause you issues.

I would add in some Cyrtocara moori.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts