Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking for a suggestion on adding to my mixed Malawi tank that I have. It's a 200l (53g), with two big external canister filters (1000lph and ~7l biological media in each). I've been running the tank for about a year now, with no major issues. Current stock, all about a year old:
5 x Red Zebra (2M: 3F)
5 x Hongi SRT (2M : 3F)
5 x Yellow Labs (1-2M : 3-4F, very peaceful, so hard to say which is which)
3 x Cyrtocara Moori juveniles (~5" long).

As you can see in the video below, tank is very yellow/orange and I'd like to add some serious blue into it. Being my first tank, when I initially stocked it, I made the mistake of not taking color dimorphism into consideration with the Hongi. My bad :) I know better than to just get the one I like the most, I want something that would work well along my current fish and not start WW3 in the tank.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would say you are overstocked...I would remove the moorii and the red zebras.

Then, are you saying you want to swap out the hongi for something with more blue?

I might just start over with a species tank of saulosi. Hard to get the brilliant blue in a 40" tank with good odds of success.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest, I was hoping I could add to the tank, rather than replace. Is it because of the filtering or the aggression levels?

If replacing is the only solution, I could donate the Zebras and replace them with a 'blue family'. What makes it harder to get brilliant blue in a smaller tank?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
It's the length of the tank. A 40" tank is limiting when it comes to species options. I would do zebras in a 48" tank minimum, and I like a large fish like moorii in a 72" tank.

The brilliant blue species like maingano are better in a tank that is 48" x 18" or larger.

Even in a 48" x 12" tank I would not exceed 3 species.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see. To be fair, I'm planning on upgrading the tank within the next 2 years anyway, I have room for 2.5m long (100"), would that make it easier? I.e get juveniles and, by the time they reach full size, they'll be in the bigger tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Juveniles mature in six months (start spawning...not necessarily achieve full size). Prior to this you can use a grow-out tank.

If you have a 8 foot tank, you could do more species (maybe 8) but I would stock 1m:4f of each. I would not expect the moorii to do well with aggressive mbuna like zebras and hongi.

It would allow you to add the bright blue maingano with 1m:7f. Also maybe not all that friendly for the moorii.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So essentially, no matter what trickery I'll employ with bigger tanks and so on, the Moori will most likely have a tough life ahead and should be moved to a less aggressive tank anyway. To be fair, until now, they've really held their ground, grew nicely (at the same rate as my big Zebra which is impressive from what I've read online) and didn't get into fights with anyone. There are two fish that are constantly harassed now: a sub-dominant male hongi and the zebras. Taking everything into consideration, I think the plan could be:

1. Donate all zebras
2. Get 10 Maingano's (or similar) and house them in the grow-out tank, aiming to select 1-2 families for the main tank. Then, as the fish mature and the current 53g becomes crowded, move everything to the bigger tank with the possibility of adding new families or extending current ones.

The caveat for the entire plan being that, if the Moori start exhibiting signs of stress, they should be re-housed immediately.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Maingano are only after you have the 8 foot tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts